8 Replies - 804 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2017 - 08:08 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

VB6 is still alive!

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

Hello everyone, I was training in some old BASIC programs and tried to reprogram small one with VB, I've copy of VS 2015 but it's so slow in my PC, I hoped that VB6 is still used, I thought modern world now will work only with modern programming languages, but I'm surprised that I found section for VB6 in this forum, so I want to ask, is there any problem if I trained and programmed in VB6 in these days although there's VB.NET ? Can my programs with VB6 work on others PC's ? It's not a risk

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VB6 is still alive!

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: VB6 is still alive!

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

I mean.. it's VB6. You will get quite a few queer looks when you crow from the rooftops your love for it.

Can my programs with VB6 work on others PC's

Check support options.. but make sure to test.
https://docs.microso...nce/vb6-support

VB6 is still alive!

Weeeeeeell.. per the link..

Supporting and/or shipping Visual Basic 6.0 runtime binaries on supported Windows versions does not change the support policy for the Visual Basic 6.0 IDE or Visual Studio 6.0 IDE as a whole. Those products moved out of extended support on April 8, 2008.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

If you're going to train yourself in VB6, then why not put that effort into training in something newer and that's currently supported?

Just my personal opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 July 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

I mean.. it's VB6. You will get quite a few queer looks when you crow from the rooftops your love for it.

Can my programs with VB6 work on others PC's

Check support options.. but make sure to test.
https://docs.microso...nce/vb6-support

VB6 is still alive!

Weeeeeeell.. per the link..

Supporting and/or shipping Visual Basic 6.0 runtime binaries on supported Windows versions does not change the support policy for the Visual Basic 6.0 IDE or Visual Studio 6.0 IDE as a whole. Those products moved out of extended support on April 8, 2008.

thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

View Postmaj3091, on 07 July 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

If you're going to train yourself in VB6, then why not put that effort into training in something newer and that's currently supported?

Just my personal opinion.

I'm 100% agree with your personal opinion, I tried to learn assembly and aimed to understand how the machine work and how to talk to it directly, I tried too to learn VC++ but its road is some long, you need firstly to learn c/c++ then you come to the windows programming with VC++, and there's differences between programming applications that win32 and windows 8 or windows 10, so there's new concepts will be in modern VC++ more than old ones.

Now I planning to program, just program simply without complexity, BASIC helps to invade programming directly and to do the purpose of your program, I took a look at c64 BASIC, MSX BASIC, quick BASIC, GW-BASIC, so how we can continue with modern world, the windows world, VB is the proper solution without the complexity and detail of programming like VC++, VB 2015 is so so slow in my PC, my computer is DELL OptiPlex 760, I can't get better than it now, I need to program something alive in windows now, I think VB6 is what I can use now, it works very fast in my computer and I think that I can reprogram some small games and programs of classical BASIC with VB6 to come to light under windows, it's programming for enjoyment before anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

I still use it for most of my personal programming. You can build applications that run on other machines but they will need to have the VB6 run time components installed.

Even in just personal software development you can run into problems on machines with a 64-bit version of Windows installed depending on what you are doing. Some of my earlier programs run on X64 but some don't. It's typically programs that use Windows API calls that have problems but you are a long way from that kind of coding at this point.

For personal programming it's OK but not OK for any kind of professional development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:47 PM

I would say stick with VB.NET and only if you plan to write code in VBA (visual basic for applications) then step down to VB6. VB6 is really only used these days in programs like Excel which is used as a scripting language for controlling cells, rows, sheets etc in programs like Excel. VB6 has a lot of limitations and support for it these days is really not good. You also won't be landing too many jobs if you say you know only VB6 and not .NET.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:29 AM

There is still active development on FreeDOS & mTCP, but just understand you're dealing with a niche userbase.

View Postahmedcrow, on 07 July 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

Can my programs with VB6 work on others PC's ?

I imagine that a dependency or two are going to be troublesome. Admittedly I'm not a M$ guy, & am going only on assumption of age of language & an entire architecture jump.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

This is like a George Romero RIP shout out, or something?

Even folks who loved VB6 went it wasn't the walking dead have mostly moved on. Those who haven't probably have a faintly glowing Windows 95 box on an alter that they sacrifice small vermin to under a full moon. It's a dark place. Don't go there.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1