• Last »

61 Replies - 4089 Views - Last Post: 01 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

#16 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can I still get a job in IT?

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

Then all you had to say was my possibilities are limited by just posting what you just said

Again.. maybe. A crazy number of variables exist.

Some jobs ask if you have ever had a felony and that's it.. some ask if you have been cuffed for anything over traffic tickets.. others don't ask at all.. some have deep background checks.. some back ground checks flag one thing red and where others flag it as yellow.

Does it tank you completely? Certainly not. May it make certain sectors difficult to be in? Well.. yeah. Just like some financial places do a credit history search on ya, transportation has issues with DUIs, and there are certain areas I feel it is necessary to disclose - in oblique terms - that I should not be allowed to be unsupervised with animal mannequins.

If you a sure shot, cover it all, best the most-bestest-prep then you need to get some actual legal counsel... or do your best cursory google search and wing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

what do you mean by certain sectors? do you mean government?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

Well.. no. So programming is applied to many business sectors.. ag, financial, travel, government, minerals, education, manufacturing, medical, walnut grooming, or gnome defense. As my prior examples indicated some things weigh differently than others.

If you are going to school, or back to school, like Thornton Melon, I would suggest talking to a guidance counselor in the IT field.. spill the beans on what's up and see what they say.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

If you're not convinced by my experience saying you're probably going to be fine, it probably won't even come up, nobody's going to care about a typical teenager oopsie that even the law has forgotten about, fine. Modi's right - you've heard from us, now go talk to someone who knows. There's free legal aid available in most states, lawyers have a professional obligation to do a certain amount of pro-bono work and municipalities are likely to have a legal department that can help you understand your situation. Go out and ask.

After all, most of the job of a junior developer or IT person is about finding stuff out, and the technique is, 90% of the time, knowing how to go ask the right question at the right place.

One very important thing you need to learn at some point is, when you ask and someone answer, the response is "thank you". Maybe you have more questions, or you don't know if their answer applies to your situation, or whatever, but the first thing out of your mouth is "thank you". The reason I mention I bring this up is not to spare modi's delicate feelings, but so you can start practicing now. If you do it often enough, you'll start to mean it, and then you'll really get good answers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

well since its only a misdemeanor and it wont matter ina number of years is there a possibility of me becoming a quant someday?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

See post 16..

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

The world is full of possibilities. A misdemeanor arrest in your youth will not, in general, alter that simple fact, unless you decide you want to let it do so - and that's entirely up to you. Are you here looking for a path forward, or are you looking for an excuse before you've had chance to fail?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

I'm just looking at what my options are now since I have a criminal record although its expunged.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

That's simple enough: They're about what they were two years ago, except now you hopefully have two more years of experience or school or something to show off.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

@jon - and someone may be a smooth criminal now.. that counts, right? The songs say it does!

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:29 PM

Or maybe he's a smooth operator?

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:34 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 17 July 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

That's simple enough: They're about what they were two years ago, except now you hopefully have two more years of experience or school or something to show off.

What do you they're about what they were two years ago? You mean I still don't have a chance?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#28 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

No, sir. That's not what I mean.

I'll say it one last time: your misdemeanor non-conviction, which does not currently appear on your record (that's what "expunged" means) is not going to affect your job prospects in any way. Whatever qualifications you might have now or pick up along the way, that's what will make a difference. Who you present to an employer when you go in for an interview, that will affect your prospects. How well you get on with people and how effectively you achieve gains for your employer, that will affect your prospects. Treating people around you as though they matter and their desires, thoughts, beliefs, and goals matter - big impact. Giving yourself that same respect - also a big impact.
Getting told off by a cop for going out cow-tipping back in 2015? Not a big impact.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but if you succeed it'll be on your own merits and if you fail it'll be on your own account. So you might as well get out there and succeed, because your trivial brush with the law is not going to do you any good as an excuse if you fail.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

There is a subreddit /r/legaladvice that might be able to help. Take it with a grain of salt, as there are armchair lawyers there too probably, but it's better than nothing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

Over the last two years, have you been turned down for a job? Just see what happens.

If it's an issue, start a business. Become a contractor. Make it happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »