61 Replies - 4113 Views - Last Post: 01 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can I still get a job in IT?

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

Interesting little tidbit I found... http://criminal.find...ent-basics.html

Legal Effect of an Expungement

An expungement ordinarily means that an arrest or convictions "sealed," or erased from a person's criminal record for most purposes. After the expungement process is complete, an arrest or a criminal conviction ordinarily does not need to be disclosed by the person who was arrested or convicted. For example, when filling out an application for a job or apartment, an applicant whose arrest or conviction has been expunged does not need to disclose that arrest or conviction.

In most cases, no record of an expunged arrest or conviction will appear if a potential employer, educational institution, or other company conducts a public records inspection or background search of an individual's criminal record.

So in short, things look fine and you should be having no problem. However, like many others advised, it might be wise to check with a lawyer in your area to make sure the above info is applicable. So don't say anything and if they check they probably won't find anything.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 18 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:20 PM

Haven't replied in a few days, but to be honest I was just looking for a yes or no answer instead of people just giving me bs answers instead of just being truthful and saying that I have no chance in hell no matter how many credentials I get. Not to turn this into a race thing, but I guess thats what happens to young black guys trying to leave the hood.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:27 PM

The world is full of grays and less black and white. Sure.. Go nuts. Try it out. Lord forbid folk chime in for more information or speculation on the info given.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:32 PM

Well until I go into an interview and end up getting hired then I'll believe it. After all I'm just some hardened thug criminal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:44 PM

Indeed, or hedge your bets by talking to an actual legal professional about your setup foe th reasons i listed pages above.

Legal nuance is always surprising.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:12 AM

To be honest, I had no idea that you were a black man until you mentioned it, and I don't see how it would have changed my answer if I had known that. You asked if an expunged misdemeanor would prevent you from being hired in a tech position, and I do not think that it would, and I don't believe that your prospective employer would even have to know about it if you didn't want to tell them. Straight story, I have no need to lie to you.

I sense a lot of frustration in your last reply, and I don't say it's not justified, but I can tell you that people here will try to give you straight answers and good encouragement, and not bullshit. I hope you'll pursue what you want to do, I hope you land that first job, and the one after it, and I hope you stick around and talk about it. But if you don't want to stick around, that's cool - I wish you the best of luck in any case.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#37 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:39 AM

View PostBasileusXCV, on 27 July 2017 - 01:20 AM, said:

but to be honest I was just looking for a yes or no answer instead of people just giving me bs answers instead of just being truthful and saying that I have no chance in hell no matter how many credentials I get

wow... talk about selective hearing. best of luck Debby Downer.

Answers were 'give it your best', don't see anyone outright saying no, but you heard what you wanted to. Shit, I even pointed out that you could contract & work for yourself & the record becomes irrelevant. You're looking for an excuse to pre-fail, & honestly, that's why you have waited for 2 years without trying & are still asking the questions. While I still wish you the best, your attitude shows you don't have what it takes to be in this profession, & it's your attitude that is your downfall, NOT your record.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

I believe in you, hardened thug criminal. Besides, like I said, Reddit has a legal advise board that might be more helpful than this one. I tried to point you in the right direction. If nothing else, create your own tech company and only hire others in your shoes; turn a negative into a positive.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 27 July 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

I believe in you, hardened thug criminal. Besides, like I said, Reddit has a legal advise board that might be more helpful than this one. I tried to point you in the right direction. If nothing else, create your own tech company and only hire others in your shoes; turn a negative into a positive.

First of all thats if I can find a bank thats willing enough to give me a loan since I have a criminal record now so I can start my own business so I don't know why you would suggest that. And as I said in a previous post until it actually happens and I see it with my own eyes then I'll believe it. There is no turning this into a positive.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#40 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

View PostBasileusXCV, on 06 August 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

First of all thats if I can find a bank thats willing enough to give me a loan since I have a criminal record now so I can start my own business so I don't know why you would suggest that.

I started my business with $13 in a rolled change & an argument that lead to a divorce. Ran that business for 11 years with 3 employees & never got a loan. Started with nothing & worked my ass off making it something. That's why it was suggested. You don't really want to do this & you are fishing for excuses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 06 August 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

View PostBasileusXCV, on 06 August 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

First of all thats if I can find a bank thats willing enough to give me a loan since I have a criminal record now so I can start my own business so I don't know why you would suggest that.

I started my business with $13 in a rolled change & an argument that lead to a divorce. Ran that business for 11 years with 3 employees & never got a loan. Started with nothing & worked my ass off making it something. That's why it was suggested. You don't really want to do this & you are fishing for excuses.

Honestly I had no idea you started your own business and what makes you think I don't want to do this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#42 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

Your attitude.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostBasileusXCV, on 06 August 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

So, you said "expunged". As far as I know that means "no criminal record". If you don't believe me on this, go find someone you believe and ask them. Check with your local library and with your local city hall or local government.If someone can't give you a definitive answer - ie, if they say "I am not a lawyer but" ask them where they would go to get a definitive answer.

That being said, I work with a lot of people who are starting companies - I write code for a startup accelerator - and I don't think "get a loan" is the first thing you want to be thinking about when you think about starting a business. You need to have a business proposition that's going to demonstrate to investors and mentors what it problem you're intending to solve, how you intend to go about solving it, and how you intend to fund the operation, and why all of this makes sense. It will be really useful to get someone on board whose experience complements your own, so they can ask the questions you haven't thought of, and to get people you trust to try to shoot holes in your model. It's an old rule in software that the earlier a mistake is caught, the cheaper it is, and this is much more true in business. You really want to make sure that all of the flaws in your model are addressed before you start trying to execute on it.

Frankly, I don't know that I'd suggest you start a business. I may be mistaken, but it doesn't sound like you've got a lot of experience in tech or in the working world in general. Most startups fail, even in the best of situations, and the lack of relevant experience would really raise a red flag for me. I think your original plan of getting a job in IT is your best bet. That'll allow you to build up some working capital and a fund of experience, which you can draw on later if you decide that you want to be an entrepreneur.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 06 August 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

View PostBasileusXCV, on 06 August 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

So, you said "expunged". As far as I know that means "no criminal record". If you don't believe me on this, go find someone you believe and ask them. Check with your local library and with your local city hall or local government.If someone can't give you a definitive answer - ie, if they say "I am not a lawyer but" ask them where they would go to get a definitive answer.

That being said, I work with a lot of people who are starting companies - I write code for a startup accelerator - and I don't think "get a loan" is the first thing you want to be thinking about when you think about starting a business. You need to have a business proposition that's going to demonstrate to investors and mentors what it problem you're intending to solve, how you intend to go about solving it, and how you intend to fund the operation, and why all of this makes sense. It will be really useful to get someone on board whose experience complements your own, so they can ask the questions you haven't thought of, and to get people you trust to try to shoot holes in your model. It's an old rule in software that the earlier a mistake is caught, the cheaper it is, and this is much more true in business. You really want to make sure that all of the flaws in your model are addressed before you start trying to execute on it.

Frankly, I don't know that I'd suggest you start a business. I may be mistaken, but it doesn't sound like you've got a lot of experience in tech or in the working world in general. Most startups fail, even in the best of situations, and the lack of relevant experience would really raise a red flag for me. I think your original plan of getting a job in IT is your best bet. That'll allow you to build up some working capital and a fund of experience, which you can draw on later if you decide that you want to be an entrepreneur.

why talk to a legal professional so they can tell me more degrading things? You can say what you want but as I said I'll believe it when I see it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

Okay, so maybe you can clear something up for me: what exactly is it that you're looking for here?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +