8 Replies - 4337 Views - Last Post: 03 August 2017 - 11:07 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

How important is the specific school?

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

So a few years back i went to one of the best schools in sweden for engineering. i have been using drugs since like 16 y/o and so a long story short, after the first year i got kicked out of my apartment and could not find another. then got behind in classes to much that i could not continue.

anyway got accepted into another school closer to where i now live but its got a more average engineering program(also no drugs anymore :D)
how much do employers value schools compare to the grades?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How important is the specific school?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How important is the specific school?

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:29 PM

Some do.. some don't. The better crap-shoot is if the hiring folk hate your school due to alma mater rivalries or loves you for being an alum.

Get good grades, do work, apply for internships, and complete the degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

how much do employers value schools compare to the grades?

In some fields, the school matters a lot. Programming is not one of those fields - probably because it's a field where I can sit someone down in a room for an hour and get a pretty good sense of what they got out of that degree, which you can't do as easily with the soft sciences and the MBAs. The main thing the name of the school does for you in programming is to maybe help you get the interview, but even then it's just one of a bunch of factors.

Once you've got the interview, then it's up to you - the school won't make any difference after that point.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

Okay thanks guys
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:03 PM

I got a junk degree at college the equivalent of ITT. While I didn't really learn much, I essentially paid $15k for an associates degree (with my name spelled wrong!) that can't be extended. It was enough to get my foot in the door, & with a lot of hard work in just the right niches to match my interest, get me a senior position with a more than comfortable wage.

If I can do it, anyone that's not a snowflake can do it.

But this also was 15-ish years ago, there's a LOT more fish in the sea now. If you are doing it because it's what you want to do, you will find a way & the degree or school really will be irrelevant.

Granted, a number of places did turn me down because they never heard of the school I went to. When that school went under & was bought by another, a government contractor that I applied for really grilled me about why my college changed. Like it's my fault that businesses make changes after a decade.

Best of luck.

** Edit **

Additionally, not sure what you are shooting for employment wise, but I've work for another college that is well known, the government contracting job I mentioned, & additionally I've been called by both Amazon & Google. Though not getting those jobs is my own fault, but armed with the right knowledge & skillset, the school would not have stood between me & getting the job.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:19 PM

yah, i dont care about money i just want to do something meaningful.
compare to my current job where i finally can quit in 3 weeks :D ive hacked the machine where i work at so i can change the speeds of how it operates and where it should pick etc(my boss would be pissed if he knew) but its a shit machine that doesnt work well so i have to fine tune it for every product
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:28 PM

Don't be a dick at your job, and certainly don't "hack" what ever thing does what ever it needs to do with different speeds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:37 PM

im not a dick at work. nobody at the whole company wants to work there. people take sick days when its thier turn on it and i have to work there from 6pm-4am every day. before it got so bad i just wanted to go home and nowdays i can just relax and its pleasant to operate it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:07 PM

Programming is not one of those fields - probably because it's a field where I can sit someone down in a room for an hour and get a pretty good sense of what they got out of that degree, which you can't do as easily with the soft sciences and the MBAs. The main thing the name of the school does for you in programming is to maybe help you get the interview, but even then it's just one of a bunch of factors.

Once you've got the interview, then it's up to you - the school won't make any difference after that point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1