6 Replies - 621 Views - Last Post: 30 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for suggestions re: language choice for a project

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:13 AM

Hi, all

Me
1. So for the better part of the last 10 years or so I've been employed as a code monkey working mainly in windows with C# & PL/SQL. So pretty comfortable with Visual Studio, C#, SQL and software development as a whole. I.e. the actual coding should not be an issue.
2. At home I'm moving away from Windows. Slowly. Basically meaning next desktop will be running Linux or some *nix. Laptops will likely remain OSX.

Plan
I'm looking to, for my own pure enjoyment, develop a little something. C# would have been my goto but since the existence of windows is nearing an end in my house I would like it to be platform independent. Basically the end goal is: On an external hard drive on the root level I want a small application (.exe for lack of better) and a folder containing media files. It should be possible to use on any machine I connect the hard drive to. The application will act as a filter for locating the media file I want to access. That is kind of; start the application (with a GUI), enter some parameters, filter down the available media to a couple of files matching the criteria. Select a file and start the media player with the selected file running. Thinking that every media file will have information stored in a SQLITE Database (which I'm currently assuming will run in any environment). Application should preferably be self-contained and not rely on things being installed on the host machine.

Questions
What language would you guys/girls suggest that I checked out for implementing the application? Any specific IDE I should check out that has good support for that language and working with the GUI layout?

TL;DR
Looking for suggestion on language/IDE for developing a GUI/database application that will run on LINUX, OSX and (for now) Windows. Preferably runnable from a single clickable file.

/Pickie

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for suggestions re: language choice for a project

#2 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for suggestions re: language choice for a project

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:24 AM

Unfortunately, to get that kind of platform independence, Java maybe your best bet. It will require the JRE to be installed on target systems. Python will be in the same boat.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

Hmm, that's a bit unfortunate. I think I would enjoy learning Python more than returning to Java (University-days) but I guess JRE is the one most likely to be installed where ever I plug in the drive. Food for thought. Thanks for the quick reply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:43 AM

Well, you can still program for the JVM with languages other than Java of course - Scala, Kotlin, Groovy to name a few.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

The nice thing about general-purpose programming languages is that they're general-purpose. What you can do with C#, you can do with Java, or C++, or python, or whatever - the main question is what sorts of libraries you want to be able to call on. Most reasonably popular languages have support for GUI and media playback, so you've got a pretty free choice. If you want to do this in python, it shouldn't be a big problem. If you like some other language, it's probably doable.

So what would I suggest? Well, that depends on your goals. If you want to learn a new language, pick one you like. If you want something similar to C#, Java is probably your best bet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Thank you all for your input. Since it doesn't seem like I can get the one stop shop kind of application (running without having runtime environments or such installed) that I initially was hoping for. I think I will go for Python. It's been poking in the back of my mind for quite a while anyway, so now would be as good of a time as any to dig into it.
Thanks again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

If you use a cross-platform graphical interface like Qt (PyQt) and avoid OS-specific code, it will make it easier to use on different platforms. PyInstaller is of interest.

(I'd check other GUI libraries though, I'm not sure that it is essential to use Qt or similar.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1