5 Replies - 1100 Views - Last Post: 02 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Good certificates to have to get hired?

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hi, I've just recently graduated from University with a BSc Hons. Computer Science, my focus is programming as that is what I excelled at. Now that I've graduated I am looking for jobs in the programming/database/networking fields but I don't have much experience yet, some jobs I've seen require e.g. 3+ years just to be considered. Therefore I want to gain a few certificates to aid in gaining the best job possible. One problem I am having is finding which certificates can aid the most, what certificates do big businesses look for or would stand out to them?

I've looked at the Microsoft Exams such as Exam 98-366 (Networking Fundamentals), Exam 98-369 (Cloud Fundamentals) but I'm not sure. Are there any desired certificates/qualifications that I can do to help towards programming & developing?

The coding languages that I am focusing on, job wise are; Java, HTML, Js, .NET, MySQL, PHP. All Object Oriented. I am also equally keen to go towards databases such as SQL and networking (to do towards routers, switches, hubs etc.)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Good certificates to have to get hired?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Good certificates to have to get hired?

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

Why not look at the 3+ years of experience jobs and the entry level jobs you should be able to snag with a four year degree?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 02 August 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

Why not look at the 3+ years of experience jobs and the entry level jobs you should be able to snag with a four year degree?

Well it's always good to get more qualifications/certificates under your belt to get higher paying/more demanding roles rather than the entry level stuff with significantly lower pay. I know I could take the entry level stuff and make my way up but I'd still like to gain some certificates to help me out after.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

Oh, I thought this was about securing a reasonable job to start accruing that 'experience'.

It would follow that if you have no experience and a degree now that spending time getting certs means you will end up with no experience, a fading degree, and some certs - all down the road in the future. I would favor actual experience over a hodgepodge of certs.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 ndc85430  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

I'm not sure certificates are actually valued in software development, because as mentioned above, practical experience is valued more. You can help yourself out by working on programming projects and by making them available online (e.g. via GitHub or similar) and continuing to pick up skills by yourself - version control, testing, functional programming and whatever else depending on whatever you're interested in.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

Certificates are NOT something you get for yourself: they're something your employer gets to make them feel all warm and fuzzy in their investment; you. If it's just a test, they'll charge you. If it's part of a training program, they'll charge you a lot more, often just handing you the toilet paper at the end. The pricing structure is usually meant to be shouldered by deep pocketed companies. Classroom training in Oracle, for example, runs about $500 to $1,500 a day, for one to five day courses.

As an employer, the only thing I care about is experience. I might look at a degree, if it's an entry position with no experience, and then you'll have to ace the interview. If you have enough experience, I don't care about degree. If you have certs it might actually count against you, as most are crap. As noted, if you can show me stuff you've done on your own initiative, that might impress depending on the position.

You aren't getting hired by Google out of the gate. Get the first job you can that won't make you suicidal and will teach you something. In a few years, you get to be picky.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1