4 Replies - 585 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should i continue .NETting ?

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

Hello ! I don't know if this is the right place for me to post that topic. If not a please a moderator to move it for me !

So, few words. The last one and a half year i am studying really hard on WPF and ASP.NET(i started asp.net a few months ago). Currently i am programming at ASP.NET MVC 5 and i want to move to ASP.NET Core so that i can be as much as possible "updated" in the current techs.

Now, straight to the point. Of course after you learn a tech or language, you do not just leave it and move to the next one. You need to practice them and update your knowledge to them... but i have a big question here. After web development, i want to move to phone apps. The thing here is that for .NET developers, Xamarin exists... but i am thinking that if i am making everything through C#, how does this make me a better developer ??

So i am asking your opinion here ... if i should change my tactic and learn some native languages in order to widen my knowledge, or continue with C#.

Now many of you will tell me: "Do what the heck you want, who cares"... the thing is that i want to do whatever has the more feature(AKA more chances of making good money) ... and is more certain that it will give me a job at some X point. I was searching at a lot of jobs in stackoverflow and indeed(oh god i hate this site for some reason) and it didn't actually cleared my head in order to understand what should i do.

This post has been edited by JohnRipper: 04 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should i continue .NETting ?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should i continue .NETting ?

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

Sure.. continue with C# and Xamarin for mobile development.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:31 PM

Well first of all I am fluent in C# and .NET and I am always using it for different projects. Sometimes in ASP.NET but also in just desktop development or utilities. So don't quit that. If you want to move into the phone app space you can definitely get into Xamarin. But why not learn another language along with it? If you want to focus on Android, Java is your tool. If you want iOS then Swift is nice. Your learning in C# will certainly accelerate learning other languages as well.

In short, you are not wasting your time with C#. You just need to move into the phone space either through C# or picking up another language more conducive to mobile phone dev.

I always recommend that to be a well rounded dev you should know a web development server-side languages (PHP, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails, Django etc), web dev front end (Javascript), a desktop language (.NET / Java / C++) and a good utility language (Ruby, Python, Perl, Haskell etc)

I think if you know one of each of these areas you can pretty much learn and do anything. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:04 PM

Nothing wrong with .NET if it's meeting your needs, but it's always useful to branch out. I sort of like Neil Young's thing about "every time I found myself in the middle of the road, I would steer for the ditch". Particularly if you have one tool set that you're really comfortable with, it's a really good idea to try something very different in order to give yourself some breadth.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

Hi JohnRipper,
My opinion is odd then others don't bet on .Net, xamarian blah.. nowdays want to make money and excel in carreer fast invest your time learning android, swift, React,web developement (Python, Java, Nodejs) or ML,AI.

Of course after you learn a tech or language, you do not just leave it and move to the next one.

Of course you have too.. staying updated with new tech is nothing wrong.
Flash is dead jump to HTML5, Obj C is outdated jump to Swift, vb is dead go to Java,python and get comfortable with it fast and invest your time in computer theory and Algorithm then implement it.I bet you will enjoy later.
Don't get stuck with some shitty tools because there is no lang, framewrk going to stay permanent, so accept it and just move on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1