• +

30 Replies - 4675 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best language for Web applications?

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 02 December 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

True, but how long it takes process a single request is only one dimension of things. The other dimension is how many requests one can process with in a time frame. How does one scale to the number of requests that an application or web service needs to support? Assuming you've already got the best design that you can theoretically get, and maximized the amount of caching and precalculated values that you can, you are left with how fast can you process requests to free up a thread to accept more requests. Do you scale up and get faster more expensive hardware (or VMs)? Do you scale out and get more cheap hardware (or VMs)? Can you avoid having to scale up by using a language that tends to be faster than another language?

In a nutshell, yes, throwing hardware* at the problem is generally preferable for web applications. I say this because the single highest priority for stakeholders and users is that they want more features and fewer bugs, and the way you optimize for that is by using a more maintainable and readable language.
Scaling out a django or a ruby app to some arbitrary number of requests per second is an interesting problem, but from what I can see it's a pretty solvable one. More important, it's a problem that can be solved without imposing a time penalty on the delivery of new code - I can devote some amount of the available developer/engineer time to ensuring that our servers are configured in such a way as to handle our ever-growing load, and that doesn't disrupt anyone else's work. If I try to solve this problem by changing languages, then I'm taking some percentage productivity hit on a per-developer basis.
Developers, I will say again, are much more expensive than servers.

* possibly virtual
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +