• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

100 Replies - 5505 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Just some Off-Topic Thoughts - I'm tired of arguing with people

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

[quote name='ArtificialSoldier' date='09 August 2017 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1502321011' post='2332532']

Are you sure you're not just trying to be offended?

Do you really want an answer to this?

or something that should be on /r/iamverysmart

In single words, he characterized me as arrogant who thinks he's very smart but isn't. It's called irony. If you want to make a peaceful discussion and you have some speech skills, then you don't recall irony as an argument.

Get in my place, you see this. And you don't count this as an offensive position? He just tried to insult you by using irony, and this is not an offence? Really?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

View Postgeneral656, on 09 August 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

this is no place for people like you. Bye.

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 August 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

I gotcha bubba - I know I when I turn 18 I'll try and passive-aggressively pigeonhole folk in discussions too. One day. *insert disney song*

All I was trying to do is open up your eyes to a world of possibilities you are ignoring. Again if you are shooting to ramrod conversations into that speaker example when I would rather just have a conversation - yeah, I would get peeved. His reaction is not invalid because you don't like it.

Side note, I wager I could rustle up a few pragmatists that are down with that low level of a conspiracy theory. Heck there's probably a load of "-ists" and "-ismists" that could fill in that void. Ha!

What the fuck did you do to the "One Day" story? >_<

Agree with you mod, the speaker was not the first example I used though, just the one I remembered first.
I talked to him how many Aristotle Theories that he would accept them no matter what, were dismissed because they were wrong. He didn't believe it. I showed him a bunch of pages, at the first one, Stackoverflow Answer he was in so much denial that immediately the discussion went on like this:
- I already see over 50 mistakes
- Where?
- Well, not 50, 10
- Yeah where?
- Well, here: (10m/s2)
- Why is this a mistake?
- What is the m?
- Meters
- Well that's why
- Why?
- [Tried to Changed Topic]

And he got upset about it. This was the first example that I used. That even Scientific Facts, are not necessarily "Facts". Even Physics handle them with a big scepticism and don't take them granted. The Physics world changes all the time. People don't know that. They think it's static and if you're a Physicist or a Mathematician, whatever you say is right because you're considered "Intelligent". We all make faults. People don't understand that.

I mean for him, it was a battle of who's wrong and who's right. That's how it is for most people. It's about making a peaceful discussion. Nope, it must be about offending other people, using irony all over your answer and being aggressive about it. Yo, I'm just trying to make a discussion mate!

Enjoy talking to you folk. [Did you just ... call me folk? That's awkward :dangole:]

This post has been edited by general656: 09 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

I think that, much like other things, if you are looking for offense then you will find it. Why do you care what anyone else thinks, especially people who don't know you? You can call me whatever names you like, for example, but since you don't know the first thing about me then I don't find your opinion of me meaningful at all, and I don't let it bother me. I could choose instead to be offended, but there's no point.

All of this is beside the point of whether or not you even read and understood him correctly. Just because you think he was trying to insult or offend you doesn't mean he actually was. People misunderstand each other all the time. I'm just pointing out that you're making a lot of assumptions about other people, and those assumptions are not necessarily true. Just because something offends you does not mean that someone was trying to offend you. Maybe it just means you didn't understand them. It doesn't exactly promote a good discussion when you start making assumptions about other people and accusing them of being or doing things they aren't.

Also, just to be perfectly clear - that he that you're talking about is a she. I continued to refer to her as "he" to make the point. See above about making assumptions about other people. You even mentioned that when you were a teenager you argued about anything. That sounds like /r/iamverysmart to me. As I've aged I've noticed that every 5 or 10 years you'll look back on yourself and realize that you didn't know even a fraction of what you thought you did. When you combine that with a young person's complete confidence in their ability to have everything figured out, you end up with /r/iamverysmart.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 09 August 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

I laughed through my nose more than I should. I got all the coke .... floor in my nose. You owe me like 100 bucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

View PostArtificialSoldier, on 09 August 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

I think that, much like other things, if you are looking for offense then you will find it. Why do you care what anyone else thinks, especially people who don't know you? You can call me whatever names you like, for example, but since you don't know the first thing about me then I don't find your opinion of me meaningful at all, and I don't let it bother me. I could choose instead to be offended, but there's no point.

All of this is beside the point of whether or not you even read and understood him correctly. Just because you think he was trying to insult or offend you doesn't mean he actually was. People misunderstand each other all the time. I'm just pointing out that you're making a lot of assumptions about other people, and those assumptions are not necessarily true. Just because something offends you does not mean that someone was trying to offend you. Maybe it just means you didn't understand them. It doesn't exactly promote a good discussion when you start making assumptions about other people and accusing them of being or doing things they aren't.

Also, just to be perfectly clear - that he that you're talking about is a she. I continued to refer to her as "he" to make the point. See above about making assumptions about other people. You even mentioned that when you were a teenager you argued about anything. That sounds like /r/iamverysmart to me. As I've aged I've noticed that every 5 or 10 years you'll look back on yourself and realize that you didn't know even a fraction of what you thought you did. When you combine that with a young person's complete confidence in their ability to have everything figured out, you end up with /r/iamverysmart.

You have some good points again, but the same. And I recall to you again:

or something that should be on /r/iamverysmart

How is that an "Assumption" or a "Misunderstanding"? You didn't really explain to me this.

I understand your points and I agree, that people get offended by things they shouldn't. But explain to me, how is this phrase, a misunderstanding and not an offence. She just used Irony, irony is a kind of offense, like a gun is a weapon. Everyday people always like to offend and savage other people. Its fun. I admit it. I've been in 9GAG too and have seen for years people trying to offend other people all over the time. :Wow, you've been in 9GAG, you're so smart:. lol no. :Well, that's why, you've been in 9GAG and now you get offended by everything: ... well I shouldn't have stated that I've been in 9GAG -_- .

All I say, people think it's fun to offend people. But it's chaotic. She used Irony to make herself look savage to me. It looked fun, but then I got offended, I replied to her but not in an unmannered way. I didn't recall ANY kind of offensive behaviour. I just said to her "Stop being disrespectful and arrogant". Disrespectful because she used Irony to mark her argument. Arrogant because she "Had a feeling that this post is stupid" (the word "stupid" is mine for emphasis). Had a feeling? You mean you didn't even read it?

It's not about using Political Correct phrases. But having some god damn manners.

Political Correct Phrases
I'm sorry if I offended her by using "He" instead of "She". But I don't think she shouldn't. It doesn't really matter. If it matters to her, well, then she doesn't really believe in equality. Because no matter what you are, you're the same kind of stranger to me.

If you just care about your identity, you can just state it in a gentle way or a funny/humorous way. She doesn't have to be rough about it. I will understand that you just want to introduce yourself and be called in a correct way. But since there is no neutral way to address at her with a third way without sounding too Gentle and out of league for this type of discussion, my mind auto-selected "he". Sorry if that offends you so much.

This post has been edited by general656: 09 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lord of Schwing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

POPULAR

I may be missing something here because TLDR but there seems to me to be a fair amount of irony about someone assuming someone's intent,even when told otherwise, in thread about requiring proofs
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostDamage, on 09 August 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

I may be missing something here because TLDR but there seems to me to be a fair amount of irony about someone assuming someone's intent,even when told otherwise, in thread about requiring proofs

God, 1 minute ago I was thinking about that and then I saw this post. What have I dooooooooooooone!

Wait what are you talking about?
I was talking about "I'm tired of arguing with people" when what I do here is the complete opposite. What are you talking about again? :dontgetit:

This post has been edited by general656: 09 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

Wake me up if there gets to be a point to all of this...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

Alright, lets get it over folks.
That was a too edgy experience for me. Can't feel more awkward after this thread.

Let's keep productivity going!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

Fuck I love these threads. It's been so long since we've had one.

Posted Image

Like I said, I did read your posts. You posted about you hate arguing, then proceed to argue. You stated that you had an argument where you felt you were right, and was talking down on your friend who thought otherwise. That's basically the jist of the r/iamverysmart subreddit. You talked about proof, and how much to prove it, and just because you don't have proof doesn't mean it isn't real. This is an argument that religious people make, which is why I joked about this thread actually being about religion. Also, no, I wasn't offended at the "he" thing, most people assume all people on the internet are guys. \_(ツ)_/
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 10 August 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

most people assume all people on the internet are guys. \_(ツ)_/

This at least is true.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:41 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 10 August 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

Fuck I love these threads. It's been so long since we've had one.

Posted Image

I know right? Lemme make another edgy thread... they're amusing :gunsmilie:

Well, despite the fact that I'm tired of arguing, it doesn't mean my mind doesn't proceed to the desire of arguing. But mostly, I just don't bother to even start an argument. That was what I meant in the title. But if I start, well ... I proceed and accept the process and the consequences of fooling myself over (if that's grammatically correct).
It's no fun if the whole discussion is humorless and Court-like. And I tend to do that crap. Hyper-Analyze things, no laughs ...

But in the end, we all create a chaos and it's what you decide it to be. Fun ... or don't know ... death penalty? :whistling:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

And I tend to do that crap. Hyper-Analyze things, no laughs ...

Yup, sucks for everyone it seems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

View Postgeneral656, on 09 August 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

@depricated
You so much want to offend me do you. You call me Neo and stuff. Nice.

Offend? Nah. Ridicule? Absolutely.

I'm starting to see your problem. You didn't learn about context clues did you? I don't mean this as an insult, I'm guessing English isn't your first language. And that's cool, that would make you far more linguistically proficient than I am. I would assume other languages utilize context clues to infer meaning - I know Russian does - but I know plenty of adults who are oblivious to them and only speak English.

So the clue here was that I had quoted NeoTifa previously, and so used the familiar short-name "Neo" to refer to...wait for it...NeoTifa. Like calling someone named Alexander, "Alex."

If I wanted to offend you, it would be abundantly clear. I don't mask my contempt.

The "What if it's magic" was a matter of speech as I explained later. But you used it instead to make me look ridiculous. Nice use of my words. That was smart.
It was clever, but it wasn't smart. The two aren't mutual. But yes, the opportunity was too tempting to pass up.

When I said "It doesn't matter", it didn't really. I didn't really care if it was one or another. My friend couldn't prove either because he only knew ONE version. Do you understand?
See, I think the problem here is that you don't understand this basic premise: if you don't care, why should he. You weren't asking because you were interested in the topic, you weren't asking because you had any academic interest in the topic, any opinion. You were looking for what we call a "gotcha." You were fishing for something to demonstrate his ineptitude, and his unwillingness to participate as you thought he should (even though you yourself would not) was exactly what you were fishing for.

If you would read my text without having so much hate for myself, you would understand that.
Hate is an awful strong emotion to attach to a stranger on the internet. Hate is broken love, and I've certainly never loved you. I hate exactly one person. At best you warrant disdain.

You claim I didn't read the text, yet I responded line for line. So should your interpretation ingratiate me to respect you? Clearly you're disregarding what I'm saying and choosing to rub sand in your vagina instead. That's why I'm giving you shit.

The Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence. Until 1971 we didn't have any evidence of Black Holes, until they were discovered.
Actually, black holes were predicted before they were discovered. They had been predicted as far back as the 18th century. The problem was the investigation - not having the tools to properly observe them, or the correlative knowledge to even properly describe them. John Michell in the late 1700s posited that there would be bodies whose gravity was so strong that their escape velocity exceeded the speed of light. He referred to them as Dark Stars (a term I fucking love).

The hypothesis of their existence was based on data that suggested they exist. Their proposal was based on the evidence that they existed, which we had before they were confirmed to exist. And even now we know extremely little about them.

Another example, far more recent, is the Higgs Boson. This was posited to exist based on observed behavior that required some actor like it. The hypothesis was formed in the 60s, and just over 5 years ago it was observed and confirmed at the LHC.

Don't mistake the idiom for meaning that not having evidence means something doesn't exist. It means that there being no evidence to be found in the face of investigation, means that something doesn't exist. We have, for example, dismissed Aether theory because there is no evidence to support it and we have found more complete and robust explanations for everything that we thought did support it.

You talk about exercising critical thought, yet can't see the difference here?

The Philadelphia Experiment has been investigated, and nothing has been found to verify its existence without going balls deep into conspiracy theories.

I'm gonna go with the obvious answer here - again with deductive reasoning: if such technology exists, it's certainly not commercially available at an affordable enough rate that your Inland Computer Speakers would contain it.

Well, he couldn't even say this. My point was not to prove him that my speaker was magic. But to start crafting proofs. Which he couldn't. Until he finally said one
- Well, if I took some wood and build an empty speaker, it wouldn't function.
It was one kind of proof.
Before that, all he said was "That stupid". But why IS IT STUPID? Explain to me? It may be, it may be not!
And did you explain the point of the inquiry? Did you frame it as a thought exercise, or did you just come running out with it as if you actually cared about the contents of the speaker?

Where do I say something that is "Really Smart"? All I say is just some -as I thought- common skepticism. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe we should start believing on Magical Unicorns from now. I saw one yesterday. That's a proof enough.
Your first post and all subsequent have been dripping with this "I'm too smart for these plebians I have to deal with" tone.

And he was the rude one. I'm not the one rushing into People's topics trying to insult them just by reading a title. He didn't take a second to read what I'd written. He just supposed and just wanted to offend me to show how smart he is. So guess who belongs to /r/iamverysmart.
Neo is very smaht.

But seriously, you're going for the "I'm rubber you're glue" argument?
Spoiler

I appreciate that you make productive speech and that you like insulting me. It really makes my day. Have a nice rest of the day sir!

Glad to brighten it up for ya.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »