4 Replies - 751 Views - Last Post: 14 August 2017 - 11:06 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to Make a Game Launcher?

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

I want a game launcher with xbox 360/one and PS4/PS3 controller support, I want moving backgrounds that the user can change, I want a button that browses for an EXE file, makes a button that will open that exe, then I want another openfiledialog to open to put a picture on the button that will be the picture of the game. And the next time that button is clicked it will do the same but make another button right next to the other one and it will go right. I want it to just keep on scrolling right. But I don't want the scroll bar to be visible.

Public Class Form1
    Private Sub FlowLayoutPanel1_Paint(sender As Object, e As PaintEventArgs) Handles FlowLayoutPanel1.Paint

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        ofd.Filter = "(*exe)|*.exe"
        If (ofd.ShowDialog() = DialogResult.OK) Then

End If
    End Sub

Private Sub OpenFileDialog1_FileOk(sender As Object, e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles ofd.FileOk

End Sub

End Class

That's all I have so far and I don't know where to go next or how to add any of the stuff I said I wanted. I'm hopelessly lost. I'm just trying to do this as a personal project. I'm not going to school or anything. I got it to open the file dialog box but I don't know how to make it make another button and do all the stuff I said I wanted.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to Make a Game Launcher?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to Make a Game Launcher?

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

So 'steam big picture'?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

Something like it. I just wanna know how to do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

I already know how to make a game launcher and add all my games myself through the programming app. I just don't know how to be able to do it at runtime and have the user add the games. I know how to be able to use a controller through controller companion or joy2key but I don't know how to use the controller directly in the program. I also don't know how to make the background image animate? would just using a gif file work? I'm new to visual basic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

*moved to VB.NET

nd add all my games myself through the programming app

Are you hard coding them this way?

How are you storing the information for the next time the program opens? In the my.settings? In a local text file?

I just don't know how to be able to do it at runtime and have the user add the games.

This partially goes back to how you are saving the file path strings, and also you should be using the 'open file dialog' control.

t I don't know how to use the controller directly in the program.

Out of the box your basic winform uses what ever 'human input device' the OS recognizes. IF you xbox controller is not taking over the mouse functions in normal OS operation you will need to do something fancy. Perhaps look at xinput. "msdn .net xbox controller winform"

https://msdn.microso...1(v=vs.85).aspx

I also don't know how to make the background image animate?

Perhaps look at 'image animator' namespace. "msdn .net winform ImageAnimator"

https://msdn.microso...(v=vs.110).aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1