6 Replies - 299 Views - Last Post: 22 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Developing very basic business directory from scratch

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

Howdy,

So I'm a brand new member here and developing a very simple Business Directory website which will have two main functions: Accepting new listings to be submitted for free and the second would be structuring it to eventually rank well on Google for the business categories featured. I'm realistic and well aware the ranking will be a major longshot and is not necessarily the goal.
Never looking to monetize this site. Users will claim/add/manage their listing for free.

I have decent working knowledge of HTML & CSS and minor PHP, MYSQL & MS Access experience.

Planning to build from scratch, no Wordpress or CMS. Would this be advised?

Really just looking for advice as to which languages would be involved here and how big a task linking a database like MS Access would be. The user interface will be extremely basic and I'm capable of that. How big of a project am I looking at here? I've built HTML sites before but never something with such functionality - just dozens of simple landing pages, etc.

Would be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the right direction here!

Thank you so much in advance! I've searched both here and online but cannot find any examples or build documentation similar to my project yet. Thanks :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Developing very basic business directory from scratch

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Developing very basic business directory from scratch

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

Scratch? Sure.
MS Access - no. Use MYSQL... you know the DB that is built for multiple users and a web environment.. not a single user system.
Server side languages to DB? Shouldn't be hard since that is the vast majority of web programming anymore.
How big? - Count how many files you will have.
- entry form
- search form
- display form
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

Scratch? Do you mean ... you want to make a nice looking and functional website yourself? Sure ... Good luck with that :helpsmilie:/>

IMO If you don't want your website to look like it came straight from the 90's in terms of design+non-static-web and functionality, you'll have to learn Javascript.
Oh god. Javascript. What does this mean?

You'll have to select the kind of framework/library-ies you'll work with. BackboneJS? ReactJS? AngularJS? MeteorJS? Whatever. It's gonna be a pain either way.

ReactJS may not be changing because it provides little, but it's ecosystem changes every 1-2 months or so. AngularJS ... changes every 1-2 years. From Angular2 in 2015, changed to Angular4 in 2016-2017. The others? I don't really care at the time. I'm already struggling with ReactJS' ecosystem. But don't be confused, Angular is a whole Framework. It's far worse when a whole framework changes than ReactJS' ecosystem. Things are no longer the same.

Learning Javascript means learning a tons of libraries. It's not like you just learned the Qt C++ framework, and all you have to do is search through the documentation.
Javascript libraries and Frameworks update every f*king month, because f*k you. You'll have a ton of issues, a lot of fun, a lot of time spent on learning things, a lot of struggle, learning BackEnd+Front end, and how to connect a database, - MongoDb in your case - because you'll have to write a lot of data, when MySQL is efficient on reading data. Choose whatever you want. But MongoDb is a NoSQL database framework and a JSON looking like.

Javascript may be a lot of pain, but a lot of fun as well. It also makes your job easy in some cases, like Front-End. It provides you APIs like google's MaterialUI, Bootstrap Libs (which you can use straight in HTML without JS) to use in React for example, state managing (summed up: knowing when a variable changed), classes, components and a very much community supported Ecosystem.

But don't expect anyone nowadays when asking you "Do you know Javascript" to actually mean ... the language. They'll mean how many frameworks and libraries you know.

But hey, that's my opinion.

This post has been edited by general656: 21 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:54 PM

I have decent working knowledge of HTML & CSS and minor PHP, MYSQL & MS Access experience.

This is essentially what you need to start, although expect to ramp up your knowledge of HTML, CSS and, particularly, PHP.

The user interface will be extremely basic and I'm capable of that.

I disagree with the above poster about the level of Javascript. Yes, some knowledge of Javascript is important IMO, but, for a basic site, you don't need React or Angular, etc.. Nor do I see immediately why MongoDb would be better than MySQL. (Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.)

That's entirely up-to you, and what your long-term goals are.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:14 AM

View Postandrewsw, on 21 August 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

The user interface will be extremely basic and I'm capable of that.

I disagree with the above poster about the level of Javascript. Yes, some knowledge of Javascript is important IMO, but, for a basic site, you don't need React or Angular, etc.. Nor do I see immediately why MongoDb would be better than MySQL. (Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.)

That's entirely up-to you, and what your long-term goals are.

He says he needs a database, that means he's gonna have a back-end to handle the requests ... + front-end ... well that's something Node.js can handle. There are other ways of course, like Ruby on Rails. But hey, that's a completely another language with completely another philosophy, and it probably means that he's gonna have to integrate Ruby for Back-end+Javascript for Front-end. So he's gonna have to learn Javascript in that specific case anyways.

If he's gonna have a Website which can handle Back-end, he'll probably use one of two, or any other alternatives like .NET etc.
As far as I'm concerned, he can't avoid React or Angular or any other Front-end Framework if he wants a nice and neat File Management, Fast and Beautiful Implementation without much code, error-less and an organized project as a whole.

I don't know, maybe you have something better in your mind. It would be interesting to listen about a knowledge cheap alternative.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:09 AM

A Javascript heavy front-end is not a requirement. There is no need to build a simple website using frameworks like Angular or ReactJS. (In fact I'd strongly advice against that.) - Even if the plan is to do in-place updates through AJAX requests, you can do that in plain Javascript, or with a basic library like jQuery, without it having to involve a framework.

If you know some PHP/MySQL already, that is a good enough place to start. Swapping that out for NodeJS/MongoDB, RoR, or some other language or database is not going to make a lot of difference here. All of those are more than capable of doing the job, so unless you're eager to learn the others, go with what you know.

It's perfectly OK to do this whole thing without Javascript, if you prefer. Websites like these have been built purely on PHP/MySQL for a long time so that is no problem at all. They are just different methods of doing the same thing. - If you want the UI to look a little more reactive, or if you have some specific UI behaviour/appearance you're aiming for, Javascript might help with that, but otherwise it's not of crucial importance.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

What Atli said ;)

React, Angular, et al. are recent additions to the web toolset. They are by no means required and, of course, their functionality, or parts thereof, can be completely implemented in vanilla JS if desired.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1