5 Replies - 723 Views - Last Post: 20 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

• Nero

• View blog

So I thought of a clever way to fight for Net Neutrality

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

Something my old roommate said to me once has always stuck with me. "Imagine what we could accomplish of no one cared who got credit."

This is something I think is brilliant and hasn't been considered, that turns the tables on the Net Neutrality 'discussion.' That said, I don't think I'm a particularly brilliant programmer and there are probably a million better ways to do this.

Basically the idea is to flip it around. Netflix has paid I don't know how much money to Comcast and Verizon to be 'allowed' to stream data to those networks. As if their customers weren't paying to have the data streamed to them.

So why can't two play at that game? Refuse to allow their customers to access your website! 'Sorry bro, your ISP doesn't play nice, so we've blocked them.' Why aren't we doing that? I mean I get it, no one's going to care about not being able to access theiraccomplices.com - but imagine if Netflix implemented this, or CNN, Google. Any major website that tens or hundreds of thousands of users suddenly lost access to because of their ISP's stance on Net Neutrality. Told, "hey, this is why you can't access it. Your ISP needs to fix that, nothing we can do."

I feel like this is a big idea, and I feel like better coders with this seed planted could do wonders with it. So here's an example in PHP. This is straightforward and could be worked into any service.

$userhostname = gethostbyaddr($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);

if (HostIsEvil($userhostname)){
		echo 'Your ISP is an enemy of Net Neutrality and has been denied access to this website. Please contact your ISP to regain access.';
		}else
		{
			echo 'Insert some code here to load your page';
		}

function HostIsEvil($userhostname)
		{
			$evilhosts = array('rr.com', 'comcast.com');
			foreach ($evilhosts as $evilhostname)
			{
				if(NameContains($userhostname, $evilhostname))
				{
					return true;
				}
			}
		}

function NameContains($userhostname, $evilhostname)
		{
		   if(strpos($userhostname, $evilhostname) !== false)
		   {
			   return true;
		   } 
		   else
		   {
			   return false;
		   }
	   }

Thoughts?

This post has been edited by depricated: 19 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: So I thought of a clever way to fight for Net Neutrality

• Nero

• View blog

Re: So I thought of a clever way to fight for Net Neutrality

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:17 PM

or instead of using a blacklist you could use a whitelist that ISPs have to buy onto for your site
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:54 AM

Sure... Because the US$20 Billion debt that Netflix has racked up so far isn't enough. They should actively block ISP's of paying customers, making their customers unable to reach the content they're paying for. That won't cause law suits, bad press or loss of customers.... Naaa...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

Did you read that article?

And yeah. They're not disallowing users from accessing the content. They're just refusing that network from carrying the traffic stream.

Alternatively, use it to load a message-heavy version of your page that tells them they'll be losing service due to their ISP's stance.

Resist their extortion. Turn the narrative that we should be paying them back on themselves. They should be paying us for creating the content they're selling.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

I don't think this would work. In this case what ever money netflix shells out to get people to their site is substantially less than the money they rake in for having those folk. Actively not allowing your customers to access your site seems like a bad move, risks a large amount of backlash (because the user folk may not see it as 'oh let us go yell at the isp and not netflix'), and risks losing relevancy when those folk go off to another content provider.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

Yeah, I'm with modi on this one. I'm trying to imagine myself as a Netflix employee going into my boss's office and suggesting "hey, let's stop people from using and paying for our service unless they make potentially expensive and aggravating changes to their infrastructure".

How we'd laugh... then I'd get back to work making money for the company.

If you want a market-based solution to net-non-neutrality issues, I would think it'd be about getting to the ISPs and convincing them that displaying a "We're net neutral" badge on their marketing will command a premium over competitors who don't observe neutrality. Then you sell them your auditing service which verifies that they're neutral and licenses the use of your badge.
If people care about NN, you and the ISPs both win. If not, well, maybe this wasn't the hill to die on after all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1