[HELP] Is it okay to be this kind of programmer?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 2816 Views - Last Post: 19 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [HELP] Is it okay to be this kind of programmer?

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

A lot of good thoughts here. The thing I'd want to add is this: trust yourself. You're going in a direction where you have to get used to the idea of doing your best, evaluating the result, and responding appropriately to what you learn in evaluation. The first step in this is to trust yourself to act in the best way you know how to do right now. Give yourself permission to make mistakes because that's going to happen. Then, once you've done a thing, look at what you've done and figure out whether you like it or not, and why.
Often, people try to get all of the answers up front before they start writing the code. This is a mistake - even if you could find all the answers, you wouldn't know what to do with them. Make mistakes and learn from them, and then you'll be able to make sense of the advice you get.

Once you get that attitude firmly in your head, you can revisit your initial question, and it'll seem less of a thing. Yes, look up answers to problems you can't solve yourself - but only after you've made all the mistakes you can make about that problem. If you've really made all of the mistakes, then you're going to be close enough that the solutions you get from google will teach you something useful.

And if you've really got all this in your head, it will have occurred to you that there's probably something about the solution you find which could be improved, and now you're treating that answer like one of your mistakes - and now you're really going to start learning from it.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#17 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:56 PM

View Posteazyyzae, on 29 August 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

LOL, only yesterday College started back up. I had never seen this lecturer last year. Well he asked a question, "How many monitors do programmers usually have? 2 or more, 1 for the IDE and 1 for Google". This statement he made could be wrong however I got the point he was trying to make.

Anyway I use 2 monitors and a 50"TV. 1 is usually for google, the TV is for myself and my own insanity sometimes :D/>

Ah, but the question is: How many monitors is a student allowed to have while taking on exam? Why the disparity?

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make, is that in academia, you are expected to "know" your facts cold for your classes. If you are a research assistant for a professor, you are expected to "research" and don't really have to know your facts cold. In the workforce, most employers appreciate your ability to search for pre-existing answers instead of spending your time trying to come up with a solution from scratch. The only time the employers do not appreciate this is when they are trying to create something in a clean room environment, or if they are trying to develop a self-driving car and you happen to bring hard drives and documents from your former employer. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:51 AM

View PostUntalented, on 25 August 2017 - 07:00 AM, said:

Hi guys, I am already having a doubt in myself whether to pursue programming as a career or not. I love learning, and I want to get better at programming. But I dont find myself getting better at it.

I have a diploma in computer technology. But to be honest, I feel like I cheated my way to finish it.

Why do I feel that way? Because if I cant solve the problem, I google the solutions. I finished college being like that. Now im out of college, I am unhireable and I am not surprised.

I want to get better.. I really want to. In fact, I'm done with codecademy, I purchase courses in udemy, tried other online courses like udacity, freecodecamp etc. I regularly watch tutorial videos in youtube. But I still cant solve problems on my own.. If I will try to solve simple algorithm problem, for sure I'll end up googling for solutions. I dont feel good about it.. I feel like Im just doing what I did when I was in college. Is it okay to be like this? I can finish a project, but I google most of the solutions. If not, how can I improve my problem solving skills. I always end up googling for solutions. Is it okay to be a google programmer?

Posted Image

None of the developers got where they are today by not failing and I am sure they felt like they were lost in code half the times. There is no specific math behind on how to avoid it. There are however; resources that may help you resolve your situation that are besides the video tutorials. If you follow video tutorials, you will end up following some developer to the spot on where he is at, if you want to get where you are suppose to be without following anyone, use books. There are books that tell you how each aspect works that is relevant to whatever language you are programming in.

I use video tutorials when I need a crash course and once I understand them, I move on to online, non video resources and books.

The only time that you should be worried about solving problems is when your recruiter tells you that you are either going to be white boarded (picture a saw scene where the guy is placed on a chair and have to push through knives in order to get out of the chair,) or you will have to give a test in order to get the first interview.

Here is something that may help you. Bare in mind that, the issue here is not that you cant code, the issue is you cant resolve a problem on your own.

https://brilliant.org/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

View PostNitewalkr, on 01 September 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

None of the developers got where they are today by not failing

Truth.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:06 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I am improving a bit now and getting more confidence. jon.kiparsky you are right. I should trust myself more. There are times were I feel like I cant solve it but after sitting down and taking time I can.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

So when I was still in undergrad I was in javascript the whole class pretty much felt this same way, the professor flat out told us that was ok that this field is ever changing and you would never be able to know everything, don't get discouraged. His advice was this; if you don't know an answer to a problem knows where to find the answer, be a textbook google a website like this somewhere someone has dealt with your same issue or would be willing to help. Again don't get discouraged and keep doing what you're doing. The answers will come.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

View PostIowaProgrammer, on 16 September 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

So when I was still in undergrad I was in javascript the whole class pretty much felt this same way...

I've been working with javascript on a professional level for 15-ish years now... I still feel this way. That's just the javascript way.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +