5 Replies - 252 Views - Last Post: 31 August 2017 - 01:56 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Graphics drivers not working in Ubuntu

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

So I did some updates on Ubuntu and now when I boot it up, I get a message telling me that the drivers aren't working and I can't access the GUI. I manage to get into the console, and even log into my different accounts and do other things, so I can still access the computer. I've looked online for help, and most sources tell me to download the drivers and install them. So I think what I have done so far is deleted all the Nvidia stuffs on the computer, then tried to install the latest things. However, this doesn't seem to work.

From what I understand there is another driver on the machine called Nouveau that may be conflicting with Nvidia. I've tried to delete that, but it won't have it.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with this oprating system for doing things like this that require hours of fixing. ATM, it is all I have though, as Windows graphics have also messed up (the blue pixels don't seem to want to work, even after upgrading/downgrading the drivers). I'm very close to ripping out the graphics card altogether to see if that will fix either of these issues.

This post has been edited by Atharron: 30 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Graphics drivers not working in Ubuntu

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Graphics drivers not working in Ubuntu

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:43 PM

Typically if you are having a color issue that's not the drivers but the card or cable. Case in point - I had an old CRT that only showed all colors if the cable sat juuuuuuust right. If it wasn't everything was washed urine yellow.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostAtharron, on 30 August 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

I get a message telling me that the drivers aren't working and I can't access the GUI.

& that message would be...?

View PostAtharron, on 30 August 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

I've looked online for help, and most sources tell me to download the drivers and install them
I am getting increasingly frustrated with this oprating system for doing things like this that require hours of fixing.

Where Linux excels is inside information & access. Researching the error message, not a description of the issue, being able to tail log files will help you fix your issues faster. Otherwise, you're just guessing & poking, like Windows troubleshooting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:09 PM

Fixed it. Removed the graphics card and both problems are now resolved.

The card now sits in a display case, a relic of my first build. I may get me a new one sometime, but I really don't need it at the moment. The most graphics intensive thing I use is Photoshop. I like to play games, but don't all that often, and the processor (i7) does it all well enough for my needs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

How much RAM do you have since the onboard videocard will likely use that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:56 PM

Can't remember off hand. Probably 8GB. As I said, everything seems to be working fine now, anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1