2 Replies - 187 Views - Last Post: 01 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Feedback needed - decentralized app marketplace

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:13 AM

Hello everyone,

We're trying to create a new open-source app distribution platform named Spheris, using blockchain technology. We are really interested in your thoughts – both devs and users. We're also open for possible collabs for those who are interested.

We’re utilizing Ethereum’s blockchain technology to build Spheris as a decentralized platform. This makes a lot of cool things possible:
No registration and transaction fees, as opposed to traditional app marketplaces who charge up to $100 for registration and 30% per each transaction. No technical restrictions or censorship. Optional anonymity. Forget about the need for credit card companies or banks – you will be able to buy and sell apps using our digital currency (Spheris tokens), with the option to exchange for other digital currencies (such as Ethereum or Bitcoin).

Customers will be able to purchase apps without going through registration and without credit cards. We’re also trying to accommodate devs whose apps have been removed from Google Play for questionable reasons.

Your Feedback = Extremely Important
We are in the early process of gathering valuable feedback from devs, and see if this is a platform that devs would like to be on. For users – do you guys see this as a platform you would buy apps from? Would love to start a discussion! For devs - have you had bad experiences with app stores (de-listing, ranking issues, not being accepted etc)? Does the concept of decentralization sound like something you might want to be a part of?

If you need more info, have a look at spheris.io or just ask me here.

Your questions and feedback are much appreciated,

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Feedback needed - decentralized app marketplace

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Feedback needed - decentralized app marketplace

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

So you are operating as the bank for everyone to buy 'tokens' from?
Why would you want to disseminate apps that "have been removed from Google Play for questionable reasons"?
How do you, the token bank, make money to keep afloat so my tokens don't become worthless when shut down?
What happens after you shut down? Do my apps/purchases/tokens/etc just evaporate and don't work?
Is there any app review process or can I schlock anything on the system?
What accountability is there if I upload something virus filled?
Where do the app files actually reside?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Feedback needed - decentralized app marketplace

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for all the questions, modi123_1! :^:/>

View Postmodi123_1, on 01 September 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

So you are operating as the bank for everyone to buy 'tokens' from?

We're basically selling the tokens to people who are interested in funding this project. This way, we're not acting as a bank for tokens. Token holders (other than us) comprise more than 60% of the network.

Why would you want to disseminate apps that "have been removed from Google Play for questionable reasons"?

It happens quite often that a developer gets his app rejected or de-listed for not complying with the store's guidelines. Sometimes, those guidelines are not necessarily to the user's interest. See TubeMate for example.

How do you, the token bank, make money to keep afloat so my tokens don't become worthless when shut down?

As we are not a token bank, we don't have direct control over the tokens worth. We believe that token value would be positively affected by building and sustaining a healthy ecosystem of developers and apps.

What happens after you shut down? Do my apps/purchases/tokens/etc just evaporate and don't work?

Due to the fact that the platform is being built on Ethereum's blockchain, even if we shut down, the code that runs the platform will stay on the blockchain. For example, you will be able to make use of SPRS tokens even if we stop our activity on the platform.

Is there any app review process or can I schlock anything on the system?

You will be able to submit any app listing to the blockchain, however we provide the "main" app store with filters and ranking algorithms to avoid malicious software as much as possible. The code being open source, however, allows for other people to setup their own custom app stores with their own filtering techniques - all on top of the SPRS token model.

What accountability is there if I upload something virus filled?

Such behavior is discouraged by ranking algorithms, that will be designed to rank malicious apps properly, as well as our community's help.

Where do the app files actually reside?

Our "Storage" component works to allow devs an easy way to upload their apps using different storage services. Among these services, are blockchain-based services. Essentially, users won't be able to upload apps to Ethereum's blockchain, on which the platform is being built, mainly because it's against Ethereum's best practices. There are several projects that are dedicated to decentralized storage, such as Storj and Sia.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1