4 Replies - 237 Views - Last Post: 13 September 2017 - 02:13 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Database Driven Website

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

I've been commissioned to write a database driven website that will act as an online customer relationship management website.

I've gotten the front-end down with the HTML markup, CSS styling, and some Javascript (well jQuery) code. What I don't know what to do is the back-end. I come from a .NET windows form application background and so it was as simple as creating an Access or SQL connection, creating the respective command object, connecting to the database, and then executing the command.

If you were starting today and are required to create a database driven website, what would you use? I know that the traditional route has been to use PHP, but I've seen where node.js has earned a place in this regard too.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Database Driven Website

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Database Driven Website

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

php, MS's MVC/C#, python, asp.net, js... in about that order.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

Personally, I wouldn't use PHP on a website. Its day has come and gone. That being said, if you want to do something extremely minimal and you're okay with an essentially growth in exponential maintenance/update cost as you scale up in requirements, then you might be in a position to take advantage of PHP's only sweet spot, which is that it's the only language I know of that allows you to deploy a dynamic site on just about any ratty-ass shared hosting service operating out of just about anybody's back closet. So you can save a few bucks on hosting costs by using it.
This argument should not be persuasive, though. If you're a software developer, you really should be making enough money to make those potential savings insignificant. If you aren't you should be concentrating on getting a different job.

So what should you use instead? Django and Ruby are well accepted, sinatra and flask are good alternatives if you want something more lightweight and less default-heavy. (django in particular is strongly geared towards delivery of textual content, ie newspapers, blogs, and so forth)
Re node, I haven't used it, a lot of people seem to like it but nobody has yet given me a very coherent picture of why they love it or what its core use cases are. Give it a go, if you want, and give us a review of how it went when you're done!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

By "commissioned" I assume you mean "assigned the task"?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:13 PM

Nope. While I own an insurance agency, I do freelance programming on the side.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1