5 Replies - 338 Views - Last Post: 14 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need backend for JS project

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

Hi guys, I'm learning javascript technologies. I want to create a simple online inventory(can add and store info in database. update and delete) as a project. What technologies should I use for backend? I heard of MEAN stack, should I go for it or is there a simpler solution?

My plan:
Front End
HTML,CSS,JS,jQuery,Bootstrap

Backend
Need your suggestions.

Thanks guys!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need backend for JS project

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need backend for JS project

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

There are lots of choices for writing web backends, of course. Some things to consider:

- Which languages are you familiar with, or are interested in learning?
- Where are you going to host this application? Which languages are supported?

I'm sure there are others, but my mind has drawn a blank.

I don't know anything about MEAN, but, personally, I've written a small web app with Python and Flask that runs on my own box. I'm also learning Kotlin, so will probably write something web based in it, too, at some point. I guess everyone's going to give their own suggestions, again, because there's so much choice!

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 13 September 2017 - 10:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:40 PM

Hi, I am familiar with JS and interested to learn more on how to us it as backend. MEAN stack could be an overkill for a simple project but I am also interested learning it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:17 AM

Then go with MEAN, or look into Node on its own (along with whatever you intend to use for the database) and see how you get on. I think the best thing to do is just experiment at this point!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:19 AM

I'm not sure why you might consider it overkill, it is a little easier to get up and running with the MEAN stack than, say, XAMPP and PHP. Essentially, everything can be installed and configured via Node, although as I recall I think Mongo requires a separate download.

[Edit: Actually, there is not much difference, most web frameworks have easy set-up paths; we don't have to do all the manual configuration - twiddling with .ini and config files - that we used to.]

I suppose the inclusion of Angular increases the learning path but you could take solace that it is still Javascript, and a popular thing to know. But it is at the core of the stack, so probably what you'll spend most of your time learning.

This might be worth a read as a brief intro.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

The first question you must answer: who's hosting it? If you have total control of the server, then your options are open. If another ISP is doing the job: check first.

The heart of an ExpressJs server, or any NodeJs server, is binding to a port. As such, most ISPs aren't prepared to support these stacks under normal conditions. Most NodeJS deployments are virtual machines or containers, not the usual userspace apache farm slice.

MongoDb, same. Check with ISP. This kind of thing is a little more common, but no much.

Traditional ISPs pretty much all support the ubiquitous, and justifiably infamous, PHP. Most support MySql.

Most web apps I've made recently are SPA ( https://en.wikipedia...age_application ) kind of things. This means you do most of your work on JS based client and the server is really just a web API. A web api is just database calls and can be done fairly simply in any language, without all the idiosyncrasies of building pages in that language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1