2 Replies - 1433 Views - Last Post: 02 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Desktop environments mess in Ubuntu

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

Hello folks,

I have tried a lot of different desktop environments recently (it was a lot of fun) and I was stupid enough to do it on my actual Ubuntu installation.

Now I have different apps and packages coming from Unity, Mate, GNOME, etc. and I want to install ElementaryOS's Pantheon file manager (I've been having trouble finding a file manage which suits all my needs)

For now my system is somewhat stable but if I keep it like this I have the feeling it will soon be completely messed up, and since I want to find a way to set the alternate file manager as default and it requires some tweaking, I want to do it on a clean Ubuntu.

I don't know how desktop environments and user settings are managed in Linux. Is it possible to safely uninstall the stuff I have installed ? Because I can tell that the user settings are not jailed to their desktop environment: some of the changes I make when I log with Mate remain when I log with GNOME.

Why not reinstalling Linux, you may ask? Because I have set up all my servers and all my programming environment, it is working fine and I am starting to mess with samba shares, DNS and stuff. I don't want to have to do everything again.

Any suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Desktop environments mess in Ubuntu

#2 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Desktop environments mess in Ubuntu

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

Any suggestions?

In a single word: Virtualization. Install your "new" operating systems in a Virtual world.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Desktop environments mess in Ubuntu

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

Yeah, right, I'll do this next time, if the laptop allows it, but now I'm stuck. Although I have to admit that as long as I use GNOME, the system is stable. It is when I log with Mate that things get messy (Plank or Synapse will quit unexpectedly for example, some keyboard shortcuts will reset, some basic customisation options will be greyed out, etc.). There is something wrong with the user profile.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1