4 Replies - 567 Views - Last Post: 03 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Debugging Edge

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

So a client has reported that their application isn't working when people log in with IE. I started Edge on my computer and went to where they say the problem is. In both Edge and IE I see the same issue. The page is initially mostly blank, the top navigation and footer are there, but the main part that gets loaded through ajax isn't there. There are no error messages or any other indication of a problem. I open the developer tools, go to Emulation, and switch to an earlier version (in Edge, I pick IE 11, in IE I pick IE 10). In Edge it then loads the page fine. IE has some issues still. Then I switch the emulation back to what it originally was, and everything loads fine in both browsers. Now the browser is in the same state as it was when it wasn't loading the page, but now it loads. How do I even debug that, does anyone have any suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Debugging Edge

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Debugging Edge

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

I find the emulation tools still a bit shoddy, but often the case is caching. Sometimes when you load a page it caches and even though you switch views it presents you the cached version until some time when it gets a fresh copy. That might explain why you see it not working and then when you switch to something that it is working it caches that and when you switch back it still works. So make sure your cache is not messing with you.

Now this site works perfectly fine in both firefox and chrome? Have you tested those? If that is the case and they are rock solid, then you know it is probably a problem with the ajax and the supported methods in IE. Was the ajax rolled on its own or did you use jQuery or some other library/framework? If you rolled your own then you might be missing a subtly that perhaps IE is looking for. I know that awhile ago IE and firefox/chrome were on very different pages with regards to how ajax works.

You can debug your JS with edge pretty much like the other browsers. Here is a link that starts you out...

https://docs.microso...-guide/debugger

Step through your ajax and see if perhaps something is not working just right. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

Could be caching as Martyr2 mentioned. Also remove any console usages you might have, since the object might not be available in IE without devtools open.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:45 AM

I am Confused why debugging is important for coding?: :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

When something doesn't work like it should, it needs to be fixed. That's debugging.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1