6 Replies - 235 Views - Last Post: 09 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

#1 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Computer desk recommendations

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:32 PM

The household CEO/CFO has greenlit my exploring replacing my current computer desk with something more ergonomic now that she has discovered some of the ergonomic benefits of actually having a good computer chair, a laptop stand that raises the screen to the correct height while she works on her masters. (As much as I love giving her massages to help relieve her pain, those simple ergonomic changes I had recommended for her has made a world of a difference.)

With my current desk of 28.5" high, things mostly work when using the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, setting my chair for max height, and finding some old boxes to use as foot rest. As noted in another thread, I've since moved on to a Logitech K840 mechanical keyboard which unfortunately is not split like the Microsoft keyboard. After the initial transition week, I'm finding that extended typing sessions are not quite as comfortable because of the way the angles workout and the lack of a wristpad/palmpad on the newer keyboard. The current workaround and to put the keyboard on my lap if I know I'll be in for an extended typing session. Great until I need to reach for the mouse back up at table height. I'm currently shopping around for an adjustable keyboard tray. So the solution from Uncaged looks to be leading the pack.

Anyway, I've not bought into the standing desk fad, so I'm not really looking for something in that direction. Given my height and build, the ideal desk height would actually be 23" assuming a keyboard that has keys about 1" above the surface. (In some ways, I can see now why my mother loved her old typing desk which had the table top at 24". She used to be a secretary prior to meeting my dad.) The US standard 28-30" high desk is just too high if I were to follow the ergonomic rules of keeping feet flat on the ground, knees and and elbows at 90 degrees and wrists straight.

Another thing I'm looking for in a replacement desk is having lots of storage space in the form of drawers and shelves. So as tempting it is to get one on those motorized desks with adjustable heights, I would need to find file cabinets and drawer pedestals to store all my papers, small tools, and what-nots. Additionally, since I'll likely adjust the height just once and leave things alone after that, the value of the motor is going to be just the coolness factor.

I'm also pricing out out building instead of buying. My tastes run towards traditional wooden desks. Materials wise I think can beat the price of most commercial desks/pedestal sets (unless shopping in IKEA). I can also get most of the features that I want. Add on the pride of being able to say that I built my own desk and it's got me very excited. On the negative side, in addition to the time to build, is the cost of having the beef up my current woodworking toolset to add on a 2-3 more tools that are typically bought rather than rented. Of those tools, a table saw is the one that I dread the most because I used to own one before I moved. It sat idle taking up space most of the time. It was a joy to use those few times I did fire it up, but those times were few and far between. My local big box store rents them out, but I live in an area where all the stores tend to just carry one available for rental and reservations are hard to come by. If I happen to get my hands on the rental, I'll have to work like a madman to get all cutting down before I have to return it.

Anyway, the point of all the verbal diarrhea above was to try to solicit ideas about computer desks. What are you currently using? Did you just plop at solid core door on top of some milk crates or saw horses and just have at it? Did you build your desk out of Legos? Recommendations for keyboard trays? Or are you in the 95 percentile where 30" high desk is just right and your only problem is getting the monitor high enough?

Sorry, standing desk folks, it's just not my cup of tea, but it still maybe interesting to hear your opinions on why I should reconsider moving to a standing desk.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer desk recommendations

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer desk recommendations

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:58 PM

Well.. there was the WoW pod, but that maybe more 'hands on to build' than you wanted.

Similarly sad, this group went belly up too.
Posted Image

If you go the DIY route - piping could make it easier and more adjustable.
Example:
https://www.simplifi...ter-gaming-desk
https://www.youtube....h?v=whY_LeFFxgk

Don't forget to add LEDs to the back..
Example:
https://www.youtube....h?v=ZdABMSLG7ic

Go all the way balls out and make an epoxy table. (color, river/ocean-esque/led light as needed)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lord of Schwing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

I've always wanted one of these

The Emperor Chair
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:47 AM

Yup it was running across those desks built with kee clamps, tubing, and a countertop that got me exploring the DIY angle. I quickly ran into the lack of drawers and shelves space issue, but it was a good starting point because it reinforced the idea that the actual desktop itself is the easiest part.

I'm currently leaning towards doing a few tweaks on Danny Proulx's executive desk as seen on the cover of his book: Build Your Own Home Office Furniture (Popular Woodworking). Not shown on the cover is even more drawer space on the return to the right of the desk chair. I'm ditching the hutch. I plan on actually making the desk deeper (30" instead of the common 24" depth); replacing the CPU hanger on the left with more drawers; putting in the CPU hanger parallel to the table run; and actually take advantage of the blind corner created by the desk and return to become by "networking cabinet" to hold the cable modem, router, network switch, as well as additional storage for office supplies that don't get used that often.

I'd love to own the "The Emperor" and just keep my current desk as my storage space. Unfortunately, I doubt I would get CEO approval. Besides, moving that up to the second floor by myself looks like it's going to be a ... an endeavor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

Not my style, but had to share: IKEA Closet Doors into Workstation with Monitor Hutch
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

Interesting.. a little much. I mean with monitor arms and stands you can adjust that up the wazzoo.. so perhaps something flat, something leveling.. and something spacious. Oooh!

Not sure if this counts on those major points.

Posted Image
https://www.thisiswh...carbonite-desk/

.. or get the carbonite casting and make your own.
http://www.ebay.com/...p-/292282306566
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +