3 Replies - 453 Views - Last Post: 14 October 2017 - 06:55 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I'm in dire need of beginner help

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

I'm 16 and have been learning to code in school for a few weeks and we have pretty much just got done with the basics of python and an older friend who has a career in coding offered me an apprenticeship fully having knowledge of my current skill and the first project he offered me is an "XML data source that configurable for different database environments" and I need to do it in C#. When the only language I've been learning has been python. he said the deadline was 2weeks since it would take him 8 hours and at this point, I'm thinking of completely declining this offer since he would pay me for it. Please help I'm so lost and don't know even where to start.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I'm in dire need of beginner help

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: I'm in dire need of beginner help

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

You can't take a paying job and expect people here to do it for you here for free?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

JapanDave, I'm not sure how you interpreted the post that way. To me it sounded like the OP has concerns about their lack of skills right now and wanted advice.

Topja, obviously opportunities like this are nice to have. Since you say you've not been programming that long, it might be best for you to continue studying until you feel you're ready for something like this. On the other hand, it would provide an opportunity to learn things, but I think because of your inexperience, you'd need quite a lot of support and not much pressure to deliver things. So, I'd say it depends on what level of support they can give you and how comfortable you think you'd be. I suggest the best thing to do would be to discuss your concerns with them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:55 AM

Your reputation is everything. If you burn it, you burn yourself. Tell your friend how extremely grateful you are but that it would be morally wrong for you to accept it until your skills match his need - but that you'll give him a nudge when you are ready to take on a small real-world task.

You want to make it clear that you appreciate it. Also be clear you are a good, honest person that cares about what your failure would do to his reputation as well as yours.

That kind of ethics is a 1000 times more desirable than any any classroom education. I can teach interns to code. I can't teach them to have a good work ethic or to be reliable. If you go into the world and into negotiations with that for a reputation you'll do great for your life, not just a job or two.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1