3 Replies - 374 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2017 - 11:30 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Starting programming

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

Hi, i'm starting to develop a game in Unreal Engine 4. The fact is.. Until now i didn't study any programming language, I start recently to study Python.. I made an game in 2D, just for seen how codes and collision works. I didn't get difficulties so after one week i left away. Only because i realized that it wasn't that what i meant to create, i want to build a game in 3D,and i know it's more difficult. Honestly i'm not worried about the codes, because I understand that well, but i didn't get the level design. Yesterday i try to see a video tutorial and i didn't get a shit, i was already about to quit. Now my question is.. Did you have any advice for what engine starting programming? I want to begin with UE4 but i know it's going to spend much time. What language i should learn first? I don't want to continue study python because that won't helping me for what i wanna do. I was thinking to start with C/C++. I hope somebody's answer because i'm really confused, thanks (Sorry for the bad english).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Starting programming

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Starting programming

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

I prefer Unity, but Unreal's fine as well. If you want to go Unreal then perhaps pick up a language that works with it like C++.
https://docs.unreale...NT/Programming/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Yes well..... C++ is a very good language for games because of its speed and UE4 is very good engine

but the problem with making a good 3d game yourself is asset creation unless you spend a thousand or two in buying your game assets

Asset creation in Unreal docs..

https://docs.unreale.../AssetCreation/

And if you make the Assets yourself then your gonna need a top end PC and 3DS Max which is not cheap in of itself and also difficult to learn how to use properly....

Buying Assets from the marketplace.. not cheap either...

https://www.unrealen...com/marketplace
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

I think Unity is a better option, because ATM its taking over the world, and all latest games i tried on Steam for different OSes are made in it, so as a programmer it will be easier to find a job in known Unity, even still you will be able to adapt to most engines, and good thing is, in game engines, they always looking for programmers. I was working in Unity long time ago when it was not so popular, but not as a programmer. You can work alone in any game engine, but its more about learning and playing in it, then making anything good. For start you can make a team, for free, peoples like you, so all of you can try to make a little game, gaining experience for future. We was doing it in FPS Creator at the beginning, to learn to work as a team, later on we got approve for Serious Sam 2 Engine from CROTEAM to make a game and sell it. Even you know all possible things, its gonna take your whole life to make something good, so think twice if you are gonna make a good 3D game all by yourself. Fast thing is to buy assets, like EA, but you probably dont wanna spend any money ATM without long term plan to earn money, and you willing to learn. I recommend making a party, several peoples, like someone who will write a story, some artist who are gonna sketch it, so 3D modeler can get a picture what to make, 2D texturer who are gonna make a 2D textures for a model with a modeler guy, and who will handle 2D images to get whats in the plan, usually same 3D modeler will be able to animate 3D models, if not, another one are needed to make animations out from the game, one man for audio, who get along everything, to create a music and sound effects (i remember when one guy from team was hitting inox pot to another pot, to make a sword to sword sound on PC XD), and in the end, level design, for someone who like it and who will work with programmers to fit everything. I lost contact with most of members (it was like 15 years ago), but some of them today works in that. For example, one of 3D modelers now making ADS for TV in 3DS, making 3D models and selling them on sites, another 3D modeler today works for Fiat company in AutoCAD and CATIA making cars, and one animator today works for celebrity, filming them, making videos, spots, like songs, he like to take pictures, and setting it all up in AE and PS (not a 3D animation anymore, but he found himself). So you dont know where you will end up in future, but dont bite something big for start, specially if you are alone, because you will be frustrated and probably rage quit it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1