Beta Testers for game req'd

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 718 Views - Last Post: 04 November 2017 - 01:43 AM Rate Topic: -----

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Beta Testers for game req'd

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:05 AM

Well,

Im developing a game for my two daughters.

It uses my own 2d gaming library... wot I wrote wiv my own lil pinkies..

What I would like is for some people to test level one and provide feedback...

Things that I am looking for feedback on... how responsive is the level... is it fast enough on your pc or laptop ?

are there any code glitches that you may have discovered.. I cant find any at the time of writing but you never know

Im doing level 2 now so cant exhaustively test it...

I will provide the game in a zipped folder its just an executable there is no code provided in the .zip file

Other feedback on anything else you can think of also appreciated !

link to zipped folder

always scan with an antivirus before unzipping folders I have no viruses on any of my machines but be safe not sorry

external link provided as file is too big for DIC.

https://app.box.com/...sgwel9x7am9xpxg

EDIT:
Forgot to mention keyboard controls spacebar to jump arrow keys for movement left right up down

This post has been edited by snoopy11: 21 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beta Testers for game req'd

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Beta Testers for game req'd

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

This is what i notice:

-Jumping forward are faster then running forward. I think it should be equal (or running with jumps to be slower then actual running).
-Moving on ladder is slow. Maybe you should increase that speed a little.
-Moving on ladder in one direction only. This could be annoying, get on ladder to get up, at half a way i wanna go back down, but no, have to go all way up to be able to go all way down.
-Policemans can get you only on flat terrain, not on ladders.
-Jumping for first key was hard thing, as much as i was jumping, couldnt get to the key. Maybe you should make arrow up + space for vertical jump. When i hold spacebar, i got the key, but left on the air in tree line, and i was unable to move any longer, anywhere, could just jumping at same spot.
-Holding left/right arrow key and holding space overlay terrain and police, character will continue moving forward and jumping, trough the air, walls and police, till the end. Releasing it, character are slide back from where he start that move.
-Left click at white/window act as pause, but resume works only if right click are press in the game.
-Remember what i said for moving and jumping, camera doesnt following a character, will go out of screen, you may continue playing as a blind person. Camera following player only when running, not when jumping.
-You may set confirmation on ESC key to act as pause/resume. Pressing ESC ATM giving instant Game Over.
-New Game Y/N, try change this. Y/N is not an easy option for lots of peoples who dont know what that mean in the first place.
-Using ~2%-5% CPU power, running smooth.
-There is no garbage collector to clear RAM. Starting the game take ~20MB of RAM, each time you press ESC and start a new game it take +~20MB more. Do it 5 times and game will take 125MB of RAM. Do it 50 times (ESC, Game Over, Try Again...) to eat 1GB of RAM, not friendly for old PCs who will run it.
-Does it support DX11 as a minimal req.?
-Some parts of your code are visible. Its fine if you dont care about that.
-Sprites, sound and similar things are also visible. Some of them are high quality/resolution, shame to use them much scaled down, or if you are gonna use then small, then make them small, it will decrease size and increase speed and performance.
-Edited sprites need rework. Sprites you edited in half Paint-Photoshop-CAD, half who knows what are done bad, keep them scaled down to hide it until rework. ATM anyone can see the difference between original sprite and one you edited.
-2 Icons, 16x16 24bit and 128x128 24bit are two different icon sets. Supposed to be same icon, if possible in several common sizes and colors.
-All files can be optimized and compressed better. For example that background image of 1.7MB in PNG with ICC profile and things can be save into 250KB without changing any quality, just optimizing it, what it would be if you dont use 24bits of colors but lower to match colors you need, or using JPEG with compression. Other compressions are more about packing a product where you can cut size for 50%-70%.

I think you should first make a strategy and plan on paper before start making your levels. First make a quality core, main things, like character, enemy, environment, objects, their interactions, when its in order, level design will be fast and easy, like in any Game Engine where you will play making a level without thinking about any problems, because everything will work just fine.

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 22 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

Well first of all thanks for the reply.. Radius Nightly

I really appreciate you taking the time to do this :)

First of all remember this is a game for my two daughters its not supposed to be sold or anything like that its just a quick thing im doing for both of the girls..

Second of all it does have garbage collection which is why im surprised its eating ram what do you base that on cos the ram on my machine falls to normal levels when the program exits..?

Jumping forward is faster than running forward yes thats probably true and should be changed to equal its an oversight... thanks..

moving on ladders is slow yes that was intentional as you can move faster than the dog wardens on the flat so they would never catch you or cos you any problems if it wasnt for the slow ladders

moving on ladder in one direction till you get to the top or bottom yes again that was intentional makes it more tricky i thought but i will reconsider allowing bi-directional movement..

Dog wardens (theyre not policeman) can only get you on flat not on ladders... yes I thought this would be better especially at higher levels where there are going to be more wardens and it would be dangerous if a dog warden chased and pushed you of a ladder after all they are not the police !

holding left arrow key while jumping produces weird shit, yeah never considered anyone would do this... thanks will reprogram the logic for that

Left click at white/window act as pause, but resume works only if right click are press in the game. Im not sure what you mean here are you talking about the system menu ?

player goes out of screen if continually jumping........ yeah never thought anyone would do this either... need to rework the logic on this.

esc key yes that is just temporary if I have a problem while designing the game at the mo I can always exit with esc this will be changed later..

Y/N change it to what ? im open to suggestions on this...

Yes it requires DX11 as a minimal requirement...
But since the machine my daughters play their games on is Windows 10 professional this wont be a problem....

-Edited sprites need rework. Sprites you edited in half Paint-Photoshop-CAD, half who knows what are done bad, keep them scaled down to hide it until rework. ATM anyone can see the difference between original sprite and one you edited.

AWW come on I know im no da vinci but Im not that bad... Im getting better you should have seen me three years ago and my lens flared cow !

All files can be optimized and compressed better. For example that background image of 1.7MB in PNG with ICC profile and things can be save into 250KB without changing any quality, just optimizing it, what it would be if you dont use 24bits of colors but lower to match colors you need, or using JPEG with compression. Other compressions are more about packing a product where you can cut size for 50%-70%.

Interesting idea making backgrounds .jpg... to save on size may change library to make this happen.. the sprites however need to be .png for transparency its just the way I designed the library... i may reduce large sprites to actual in game size to reduce overall footprint later but its not a pressing concern right now...

How is my code visible im using a compiled .exe ? are you decompiling it ?

I know my resources are visible inside the .exe but doubt my daughters know how to use a resource hacker...

Again thanks for the feedback some real gems in there... if I could give you more than one point I definitely would...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:40 AM

RAM, when exit yeah, but while playing, each new level (like try again, new game, level 2...) are loaded in RAM as a new additional one, even its the same level (64bit OS dont do that on their own), without clearing previous one (64bit OS like it). To give you example with 3 levels, each one have 20MB, if i fail level 1 two times to make it, i repeat level 2 three times to make it, when i come to level 3, this is gonna be in RAM:
-Level 1
-Level 1
-Level 1
-Level 2
-Level 2
-Level 2
-Level 2
Instead of Level 1, level 2. Each time you start a new game or try again, current stage will be loaded as a new one on top of everything, leaving previous one (that you bite or fail) for nothing in RAM forever just to be there. 32bit OS will probably limit it to 2GB, 64bit usually have lots of RAM, and VRAM will be used to store old unused garbage, so shouldnt be a problem, but if its gonna be a big game, with lots of retries, old PCs may close it without warning.

I write wrong and i didnt notice, right click at window (or empty/white space on top of the game - between game and window title border), to get options will pause the game, to resume it, right click has to be pressed in the game (like right click at dog polic, ok-ok, warden).

Y/N, like space for yes, esc for no, or simply yes and no to be picked with arrows or similar. We kow whats y/n, but most peoples dont know what y/n means, if your girls knows, shouldnt be a problem.

You are not that bad, it was irony, but i guess you use PhotoShop or something like that, and im sure in Paint you would do it better. I mean, its like black on white, like paint power, and there is shading you made with something better then Paint that doesnt fit into black and white style. You probably used PS because you needed to select arm and stick to rotate them, leaving some glitches you didnt select, and making empty space left to be fixed, but not with shade man, using one square pixel 1x1 to paint each pixel is the simplest way, and you can make it look way better.

You can use JPG for compression, but because im perfectionist i dont like it. If its gonna run on all sizes (all monitors), you could use vector graphics to be perfect all the time, but its too late for that i guess. I like PNG and APNG, its my favorite, and because this pictures are made from just a couple of colors, you can make it optimized, converted to 8bit color, maybe indexed colors if your library are able to handle it. I understand about transparency, its easy way, but usually in gaming developments there is no transparency anywhere. For example, image with white background, make a library to show white on that picture as transparent, it would be black, or similar strategy where reverse wont work as easy, for example i will not get original image, but i can try edit it to get it, if i figure out what library did.

I have my publishing ways, where application like this may take 2 hours to get it ready to publish, but the simplest way is UPX thats free, i tested your game on him, and he was able to cut file size in half. Its not the best option, and UPX can make PUA/PUP issue, but its just example what only compression can give you. Positive site is that making file smaller will launch faster from slow media, like CD or USB, it will unpack into RAM, making it faster (instead of reading something from file, like level 2, read it from RAM, because whole file is in RAM), and usually this kind of compression aim to hide your code as additional layer of security, some of them make virtualization for whole project. Thats how i saw some code for sprites, its in RAM, as black on white.

You dont have to give me any points, im not here for points, i was here seeking little help for a server (i work around computers every day for over 22 years, i may say i know everything, but more i know, the less i know, having server for some time, but i lack some knowledge configuring it, seeking peoples who have more knowledge in it), and i take a look around until my server fix, after that im out and wont come here for another year.

You can make something big from your library in future if you go that way, so keep pushing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:02 AM

Yes I understand that you're not here for the points,

None of us are here for the points..

And I understand that you are very knowledgeable... that much is clear ...

Although I think language is a barrier between the two of us... your English however is 100 times better than my whatever Balkan state you come from. :)

I understand you are saying there is a memory leak and I downloaded a memory profiler and you are right I do have a memory leak.. although the profiler says the blocks are 15 MB not 20MB in size that are being leaked but thats still immaterial you were right and thanks for that...

I think it has to do with a std::vector of images in the library that im not deleting properly I will fix it..

The game pauses when you left click away on the frame of the window because of the system menu it pauses the thread this is a feature of Windows OS I can create a Window without a system menu however, it should sort it.

I wont bother with UPX as the game is just for my daughters they are aged 11 and 9 so I dont think they are going to decompile it and steal my code.......... not that im overly bothered about that anyway....

As for making something big with my Library.. yeah this time next year I will be a millionaire ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

Right an update...

got rid of the system menu by handling the right mouse click in the non client area...

also the Memory leak has gone down from 15MB to 874,260 bytes still trying to figure out this last bit of the leak..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

Arrghhh...

leak down from 874,260 bytes to 18kb ......... the sound of the running foot steps wav file is 17kb in size I think its something to do with the way im handling this...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

Its's down from 18kb to 5,368 bytes..

Im tired going to call it a day...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

Its back up to 7kb despite me refactoring how i handled the sound.

https://app.box.com/...b7ivu2dyo4so0xj

new link for game I find it quicker and more responsive now wish I could work out why it eats 7kb every loop... of the main loop...

but if you are still around you can test it be appreciated..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

right updated jumping scrolling issues they are solved you cant jump faster than you can run its equal..

link for updated game...

https://app.box.com/...69vhy71lzf2x0ox

still have slight memory leak.... :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:03 AM

But its way better then before. And my ingrish is no guud tuu.

You know Y/N, well, i tested N option, it crashes, and wont launch anymore. File is unchanged (so i guess there is a problem with save file, registry or whatever your game is using). Didnt test on other PC, i dont have event log service set up here, so i cant say whats the actual crash. Guess you can also chose N, if you get crash and cant run it anymore... It can mean two things, good and bad. Good thing, its not only me. Bad thing, you will have to fix it. :hungry:

http://i.cubeupload.com/rYYeZN.png

Now it can be launched only in compatibility mode (XP, Vista, 7, 8), and N option does not crash it.

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 24 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

I downloaded the last zip and ran it pressed N and it exited gracefully....

Is this you using UPX again ?

Im on Windows 10 of course
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:38 AM

Windows 10 too, no UPX. I actually pick up a key, open the box, hold down right arrow and holding space to level 2, then i got game over, and N broke it. Will take a look into it.

My bad, it was Pet Rescue (2), 3rd one works fine. But after some jumps to get a key, she was running at the ground (under the green), until i got to the box. And jumping to the left to get a key still capture me in the air, same thing happens when jumping to the right to get a key. And, and, arrow key with space does not overlay anymore anything, except if im gonna hold the opposite arrow direction. Like, holding left + space to move to the right and overlay.

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 25 October 2017 - 02:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:42 AM

oh ok thanks....

probably some change ive made will look into it...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

I think it was either cos I built it in x86 mode or cos I found a problem with my window creation code see this post for full details...

http://www.dreaminco...ot-in-x64-mode/

but either way this is a x64 build version ie it wont run on 32 bit windows OS

https://app.box.com/...091pdnl2dpylugu

thanks again for your time Radius Nightly

This post has been edited by snoopy11: 25 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +