This is not an employment ad

we're having trouble writing one

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 661 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2008 - 07:45 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

This is not an employment ad

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

This isn't an employment advertisement. We actually haven't gotten that far.
We a growing bicycle company in Miami, Fla. We have decent web site (www.jbimporters.com) that was contracted out through a guy who did it part time. This was three years ago.

He did a good job it seems, but we need someone in-house to address issues as they arise and expand the site's abilities. Ideally, we would hire someone to work on the front end of the site -- the appearance and navigation -- and then have someone else do the backside programming.

This ad would be for the later, but we really don't know what skill set is required to even place an ad.

If you were to do the backside programming of a site like ours, what programming knowledge would be required? We are open to someone coming in-house and re-doing the entire or going with the existing format.

So, what I'm asking is, how would you word the ad to make sure you got the right person?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: This is not an employment ad

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: This is not an employment ad

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

Well the ad is designed to get you the right audience of candidates, determining who is the right fit is the process of the actual interview. So for the ad you are going to want to ask that a candidate have some of the following skills...

1) Skilled in PHP for a number of years (2-3 is good to ask for)
2) Experience with HTML/CSS/Javascript (3+ years is nice to start)
3) Experience in (Database you use goes here) (2-3 years to start is good)
4) Experience using object oriented design and analysis
5) If you want them to do any graphic work they should have some basic photoshop, illustrator, or whatever software you use for graphics.
6) Has a BSc or equivalent work experience
7) Familiar with a (fill in linux or windows here) environment

Skills to consider as assets...

1) Additional server-side languages like ASP or Coldfusion
2) Visual communication and design experience
3) Other database experience
4) Flash

Other skills you might want to mention
1) Good written and verbal communication skills
2) Works great in individual or team environments with little supervision
3) Has ready samples of work previously done in some sort of a portfolio

That is a pretty good start. You just want to make sure the candidate has done lots of web designing before with server-side languages. Is familiar with what it takes to make a great site, appears motivated and may even have a little design/marketing experience to give you a nice web presentation to your site if that is what you need.

Hope that helps get you started. Only you can fill in and change what needs to be asked to fit in with your company. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

Do not spam my forums again with this crap. 1 post was enough. 2 was pushing it, 3 is just plain spam.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:40 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 10 Jan, 2008 - 03:34 PM, said:

Do not spam my forums again with this crap. 1 post was enough. 2 was pushing it, 3 is just plain spam.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but it looks like this person is asking a genuine question, how is that spam? I actually have come here for the close to the same reasons, looking for help. What kind of site is it that encourages people to come here to get their questions answered, and you call it spam?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

jack, he posted this in multiple forums. the same thread if i'm not mistaken.

thats spam.

welcome to the site though we love to ask questions if they are actually meant to be questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:45 AM

View PostJack Sparrow, on 9 Feb, 2008 - 09:40 PM, said:

View Postskyhawk133, on 10 Jan, 2008 - 03:34 PM, said:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but it looks like this person is asking a genuine question, how is that spam? I actually have come here for the close to the same reasons, looking for help. What kind of site is it that encourages people to come here to get their questions answered, and you call it spam?

Jack,

It may not have been spam, but he linked to his website in every post and posted the thread in multiple forums here. I see a lot of spam every day moderating these forums, and typically, that matches the profile of a spammer. However, it may have just been a newbie mistake of trying to get his question answered. Either way, bad netiquette and I have to look out for the forums best interests.

Feel free to ask your question in the appropriate forum and I'm sure it will be well received :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1