6 Replies - 333 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2017 - 01:24 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Application development with database

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

I am creating an application that will contain drillable reports with graphs etc.

I have access to a SQL server where a database can be held, and the database needs to be built off text files that contains sales information and other text files that will enrich the data that sit on other systems.

I need a database on the server where text files can be imported. Then the application will query the data based on the user logged in and will only download the data relevant to that user so that it is available offline.
The data downloaded to the local user then needs to be able to be grouped like a pivot table in Excel.
The application also needs to be able to edit the data and filter the data;
It's also worth noting data security needs to be maintained ideally by using encryption, and the largest dataset someone would be able download is around 15 million rows by 15 columns so performance is also important.

I have already looked into SSAS tabular which would allow row level security but I couldn't see a way to store this locally. I have also looked into using sql lite and whilst it would allow me to encrypt and store the data locally I couldn't see how my application would be able to convert this into a pivot like table and also allow editing.

Hopefully someone will be able to help as this is my first app I am developing based on data.

Thanks in advanced for your help, and if I haven't been specific enough please tell me.

Many thanks, Joe

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Application development with database

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Application development with database

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

Is this for homework or for pay?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 October 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

Is this for homework or for pay?

Hi, it's for homework
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

Hmm. Seems like an awfully complex project for your first programming assignment.

I am lost on why the user would need queried data offline and not just use the existing SQL connection. What's the user story for that?

Why not use local reports like 'reporting services'?

Have you gotten the app to SQL DB interaction down? Seems like you should work on that part.. the part that can add, edit, mass import, etc to the DB first. The whole 'local process' shenanigans is secondary.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 October 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

Hmm. Seems like an awfully complex project for your first programming assignment.

I am lost on why the user would need queried data offline and not just use the existing SQL connection. What's the user story for that?

Why not use local reports like 'reporting services'?

Have you gotten the app to SQL DB interaction down? Seems like you should work on that part.. the part that can add, edit, mass import, etc to the DB first. The whole 'local process' shenanigans is secondary.

It's not my first programming assignment, I have been doing a lot of applications that interact with Office applications especially Excel but I wanted to move away from using Excel.

With the reason to the user needing it offline it's because I want the user to be able to still use the application even when not connected to the internet.

I have done something before with reporting services but as it doesn't download any data and the user can't use it offline I haven't really considered this.

No I haven't done anything SQL DB interaction as I wasn't sure if this was the best approach? So do you think I should just concentrate on importing the data into the SQL DB first? Will I be able to download the data to a local machine without always being connected to the internet?

Thanks for your help :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

I would do the major parts of the app first.
SQL Server db tables.
Data import.
Being able to query this data.
Using the 'local reporting' reporting service reports to utilize data queried.

The whole 'local data' thing sounds like an odd gold plating requirement so that's a whole secondary thing to address after the minimum requirement set is completed. You certainly can store data as a CSV or in SQLlite and encrypt as needed.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

Ok that's great, thank you for the advice. I will post if I get stuck :-).

Thanks again

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 24 October 2017 - 01:26 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed previous quote, just press REPLY

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1