8 Replies - 646 Views - Last Post: 25 October 2017 - 11:47 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I want to create a web application.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:14 AM

The application that i want to make sounds like this: Mainly it tracks commercial airplanes flights in real time on a map(like an API of google map), by taking data that updates itself automatically from the database.

The user just search for it's flight and it appears on the map in real time with trajectory, ETA until destination, etc. The users can use the application not only to track their flights but to book flights.

The application also stores data about users in the user history panel where he can see the history of his flights. All data taken from a database, created, stored and used.

My guess is that i will use HTML5, jquery, javascript, css, bootstrap, PHP and SQL. Also i may or i may not need a framework, and i do not know what framework to use. If you guys could tell me what suits this project best(what should i use for this project) i will very much appreciate your help. Thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I want to create a web application.

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I want to create a web application.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:32 AM

That's a very ambitious project there.

The only hard requirements are HTML, CSS & Java­Script. anything else depends on the environments used (e.g. a Node.js backend (which would be my favourite here) does not need PHP and not necessarily SQL).

As far as frameworks are concerned, use the ones you see fit. They're only tools, after all.

And one important thing to mention is that you need to get the flight data from somewhere. I'm not sure Flight Agencies are willing to hand out the current positions of their machines so easily.

Based on what you have come up with, I recommend to not do this project, This is much more work than you currently anticipate.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:45 AM

Problem is, this is not a project for a job or payout. I am a student and after i finish my years of studentship i have to do, like everyone else, a project. And i wanted to create my own theme and i knew it was a hard project but i wanted to be unique and jaw-dropping. I already submitted the project's name and theme so i cannot change it anymore, i can only hope for the best.

As for the project i do not need real data, i need in my database false and invented data, just so the application can work, and i am not familiar with frameworks either. I could use a bit of explanations :D/> Thanks!

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 25 October 2017 - 02:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:58 AM

As for the project i do not need real data, i need in my database false and invented data, just so the application can work

OK, that makes it a whole lot easier.

And i wanted to create my own theme

How good are you at UI design?

If design is not your forte, then keep it simple. Good design needs years of experience, nothing anyone can learn overnight. Style frameworks (bootstrap, foundation, etc.) only make coding a design faster for the price of restricting your freedom. Still you have to come up with an idea first.

You might also look into an SPA framework like Vue, React, or Angular, etc. for your page, as you have a lot of incoming data.

On the server side I'd still recommend Node.js since it's easier to set up Web Sockets (Push Notifications). You don't even need a database, as your data are fake anyways (if you still want one, I'd likely go for MongoDB).

If you're going that route, Java­Script will be your dominant language. This also requires to dive into its more advanced topics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:09 AM

I will use node.js and everything you recommended, as for the framework i will try Angular since i heard a lot of programmers talking about it. And as designer, i worked front and on some websites and it went out pretty cool, but i am not an expert on the front side, nor a newbie either.

View PostDormilich, on 25 October 2017 - 02:58 AM, said:

Still you have to come up with an idea first.

What do you mean by this sentence?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:14 AM

View PostAlecMason12, on 25 October 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

What do you mean by this sentence?

This means that style frameworks don't tell you what your UI (as a whole) will look like. They merely provide tools and elements for your UI to put together.

Btw. how much time do you have for your assignment?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:15 AM

I have 8 months until deadline.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 25 October 2017 - 03:43 AM
Reason for edit:: removed previous quote, use the REPLY buttron

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:07 AM

Then first thing to do is get the functionality working. you can add styling later, when there's time left.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:47 PM

okay, thank you very much, I will talk with the teacher that was assigned to support me and get started. Thanks again!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1