5 Replies - 330 Views - Last Post: 31 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What would look good on a resume?

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

Hey everyone,

I am a computer science student at a research university. I currently work in a Geographic Information Systems and spatial statistics lab (an anthropology lab studying prehistoric, historic and modern patterns of cultural landscape transformation).

Right now I'm doing mundane office work (organizing papers, scanning etc), but I recently got an opportunity to pick a research topic or project to work on while I'm there, assuming the head of the department likes the idea. I really want to do something that has to do with my major so I can have some experience under my belt.

Maybe writing useful software for the lab? Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should work on?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What would look good on a resume?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What would look good on a resume?

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

What's going on in the lab? Anything that could be automated? Data to be combined or stored better? Scanning? Tagging? Trending information of collections over time over locations over topography? Ask folk in the lab what's up and if they have any personal ideas they have been kicking around for sometime.

Follow BigWeld's advice - see a need, fill a need.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

A lot of the time they ask us to sift through research articles in databases and find ones that talk about whatever a grad student is working on. An example would be finding a bunch of articles that talk about prehistoric rock art in Scandinavia or something very specific.

Would it be crazy or too hard to scrape these databases for relevant articles? I have never tried to write that kind of software and I only work there 5-6 hours a week.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

First it depends if the databases allow scraping... and then how fast, far, other parameters, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Alyssa Milano wearing just her tattoos sitting on a resume would look really good. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

Seriously, though, something that demonstrates initiative, leadership, technical expertise, visual design, or ability to work in a team would look good on a resume. If you make that "or" into an "and", even better.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1