Computer Engineering student with some questions about work life.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 1015 Views - Last Post: 07 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

#16 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Engineering student with some questions about work life.

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

Maybe we mean different things by "well". By "well", I mean learn it to the point where the language isn't holding you back - the syntax is in your head, you're familiar with the idioms, and the standard "gotchas" are familiar to you. I don't mean "mastery", since as you say that's not really a thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for all the information everyone. The reason I chose computer engineering is because of the classes I saw. I have always loved being around tech and trying to figure out how everything works. The classes are a mix of programming and electrical engineering classes. I've built a few gaming PC's and I like doing it. That's pretty much why I am here. Hardware and programming is the field I want to be in. I started looking at job listings in my area as someone suggested and I found an internship at Texas Instruments. I looked at their requirements and it gave me an idea of what I should be familiar with. The internship is for students pursuing computer engineering and related fields. I am not going to apply because I am not familiar with the list they provided but it is definitely a start. I definitely fit the minimum requirements with a 3.9 GPA/4.0 but not the preferred qualifications. I am not sure if I can link something but here it is. https://ti.jobs/dall...83499d0891/job/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 snoopy11  Icon User is online

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

That job sounds the perfect fit for you ...... apply...

Learn some Unix shell commands and some PERL syntax both of which can be easily achieved in a few weeks if you are just running scripts and utilities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:12 PM

You're right. Might as well apply, it doesn't cost anything. I just gotta write a resume.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

So I'm thinking that's 2 years out of 4 years already completed. Seems like planning out courses for what would actually lead to one's career/employment would have happened before the start of year 1, not before the start of year 3. Or am I missing something?

You are missing entirely, freshman up till sophomore students are primarly consumed with pre-request classes to engineering courses. They are finishing the math, physics, gen. ed., etc... So his question about looking for guidance before he starts taking core engineering courses is completely understandable.

I did my B.S. in Computer Engineering, it is a solid mixture of CS and EE. Because of the EE side of the degree, you are going to see a lot more math than if you were just CS.

The math you use out in industry will be dependent on the position you are in, but you will typically use the critical thinking skills you learned from your math courses.

Calculus is simply a course to get you ready for engineering core classes. The EE courses will be heavy in math: discrete math, differential equations, calculus, control systems, continuous / discrete systems (LTI). So after you finish calculus, don't think you a finished with math, you have just begun...

The CS side will be more relaxed on math, you will basically focus on algorithm theory and analysis.

This post has been edited by jjl: 06 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:52 PM

Yes, I just finished most of my core classes. I just started the programming classes and need to take 5 more math classes. I start engineering-based classes in the fall of 2018.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

I'll never understand why folk bunch up their non degree classes upfront and power hammer the degree classes in the rear. Mixing them each semester seems better on the old noggin.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

I took the approach of mixing up degree and non-degree classes to give myself breathing room. The students I saw who crammed non-degree classes ahead of time were either one who got an Associate's degree at a community college first, or were those who were undecided about their major so they were taking classes that would likely be pre-requisites for the possible major(s) that they may end up choosing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

I am still at community college so I can only take a few computer engineering course here. My programming classes, introduction to engineering, and some electrical classes are the only ones that will transfer for the bachelors. I am in a computer engineering transfer program so my schedule is already planned. I think doing core classes first is better because some people may change their mind on their major.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

That is the transfer student life (know from experience), you take all of your general education at a community college (save a shit ton of money), then transfer to a university to take the engineering courses
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +