1 Replies - 315 Views - Last Post: 02 November 2017 - 04:31 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Just started learning Java again.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

First of all, my major is IT and I only took java, c++, sql, web design(html, css) 1 class each. It's been more than 2 years since I used any of these language. Anyway, I started studying java(eclipse) and sql(oracle) again because of the work. So far, I put about 30 hours on these two languages and I caught up and went beyond what I learned in first introductory class years ago. However, I feel absolutely discouraged what the heck I can do with these at this point. In Java, I can type in some lines and it prints some crap in console or make little pop up on window that does almost nothing. In sql, I can make some tables, drop tables, modify data, alter column blah blah.. but I can't think of a single thing how any of these are useful in real life. If I keep going, sure.. I will know better but it's not like I can create any useful system for any company. Currently, there are IT project team came to my work to build some system and in order to maintain it, I gotta know sql, java, c#, htlm, java script and some other crap on top of VM machines, WAS, microsoft server 2012 etc.. Yeah, I am still beginner and I know little bit of all that but I am not good enough to put them together to make any system and no one is teaching me how to do it either.

So.. if I keep dig into java and sql.. will I be able to land a decent job in the future? My current job is ok but it's mostly front line support and I am only doing it to gain some experience. Tell me you experts. :(

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Just started learning Java again.

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Just started learning Java again.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:31 PM

However, I feel absolutely discouraged what the heck I can do with these at this point. In Java, I can type in some lines and it prints some crap in console or make little pop up on window that does almost nothing. In sql, I can make some tables, drop tables, modify data, alter column blah blah.. but I can't think of a single thing how any of these are useful in real life.

You do realize that console crap is what a large amount a code does right? Batch scripts, deploy scripts, running processes, modifying tables at 2am etc. Also SQL to make tables, drop tables, modify etc is what databases is all about.

Here lets think for a moment. Your employer asks you to create a customer relational management tool (CRM). You will create database tables for the customer, accounts, leads, log tables, etc etc etc. Then you write a java application that, at 2am fires up to backup the CRM while traffic on it is low. Or you might be asked to create a client application for the sales team to start the application, connect to the CRM database and show which customers have bought in the last 24 hrs. This will require you to run a SELECT statement and maybe some group by logic.

I don't know what you think programming is, but database table manipulation and writing java console/apps is the foundation of a the client-server architecture. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 02 November 2017 - 04:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1