5 Replies - 240 Views - Last Post: 10 November 2017 - 02:25 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Robot programming using telnet

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

I know this is propably wrong place for me since my understanding in programming is very limited as mechanical engineer but i'll try.

We got a new mobilerobot to our company and I've been playing with it for a bit. My goal is to figure out a way to use the robot with a phone.

I can already connect to it and operate it without problems using telnet in my phone (in same wifi). It does everything I tell it to do but what I don't know is that how it could operate without anyone controlling it. For example, it serves coffee around the warehouse and I need some. I pick up my phone and press "main door" button and it then automatically comes there to serve me.

What is the easiest way of establishing this? The robot uses ARCL-advanced robot communication language and it's fairly easy but the connection between my/others phones and the robots "socket" (I believe is the word) is something I don't understand.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Robot programming using telnet

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Robot programming using telnet

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

I am not following. Is the issue: complex programs running autonomously, wireless communication, phone OS to some telenet app, or what?

Randomly curious - what is the make/model of this coffee bot?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Good questions there. Program itself isn't that complex and tasks it should do after I request it, are really simple and the robot can do those autonomously.

Lets say I have an app (I don't yet have) which has one or several buttons, doesn't matter how many. These buttons represent goals which are already programmed into the robot and its map.
Now, I'd like the robot to come to the goal near my office and press "King's office"-button from the app. This should add a line in the code texting "goto goal2" But I have no idea how this could be done using any kind of telnet connection.

Our (pretty expensive) coffeebot is Omron Adept Lynx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:56 PM

Interesting...

To clarify the work flow.

1. You interact with some mobile app.
2. Robot is given task X to do. (be it going to some destination or what ever)
3. You interact with the mobile app again.
4. Robot adds task Y to the queue to do after X.
5. Robot completes X and kicks off the Y routine.

Does that about encapsulate it?

Again the issue is the app to the robot, the robot having a queue setup, or the robot knowing where destination X is?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

Yes, pretty good recap. I'd say that the app and the connection between the app and the robot is the biggest problem. Other problems are something I can and will solve after I have an app (or through internet page if easier to make) that interacts with the robot. So basically we could say it's the connection that has to be somehow figured out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

I gotcha. Okay that narrows down the project space pretty well.

Are you using their Adept ACE or Adept Motivity software?
http://www.adept.com...ept-ace/general

It looks like their "research" side has some flexibility, but their commercial side less so as it all goes through that Adept Motivity PC app.. Have you tried asking them if there is an API or SDK to use?
http://robots.mobile...ki/All_Software

http://www.mobilerob...archRobots.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1