10 Replies - 386 Views - Last Post: 13 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Another Guy Needs Another Expert

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

My teacher assigned me a project where I have a subject to research on a topic, and I need an expert for this. The somewhat broad topic that I am researching is computer science, more into the software components of it though (yay). What I need now is an expert, where they would need to explain what computer science means to them, and if they have any job or hobby that relates towards this topic, talking about their experience would be really great.

Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Another Guy Needs Another Expert

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Another Guy Needs Another Expert

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:51 PM

I'll bite - what's the topic?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

The topic that I have told my teacher would be about the coding / programming language of computer science, as my research has been revolved around that. This was from how I liked the idea of coding when I was around in 7th - 8th grade.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:29 PM

Ahhhh.. okay. Do you have anything more narrow than that, or specific questions regarding programming?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:38 PM

I guess the slighter more specific view is how coding would be connected towards software, meaning how would coding be essential towards software and how it a product made from it would be pushed out to the public.

Another question would be your experience with coding and how it is in a accurate description.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:40 PM

Ahuh. Well software is produced by the act of programming. Programmers turn out lines of code. The connection is pretty clear and linear. If you don't have code you don't have software.

As for distribution - simply compile your lines of code into an executable and put that online for download.

Another question would be your experience with coding and how it is in a accurate description.

I don't follow either of those questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

First, thanks, I appreciate.

Oh wait, another question that I remembered: There are different types of languages like Java and Python, but I also want to know if different languages are able to correlate with each other and how programming languages were made to begin with.

Second, I just want to know your experience with code, if there's no experience then I want to know about your experience handling something that's in the broad of area of computer science, if that's what you meant by not getting both questions. If it means you don't have any experience, that's fine too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

I am not sure what you mean by "correlate with each other".

As for how they are made - high level languages typically are built on low level languages which in turn are on the backs of machine languages.
https://en.wikipedia...amming_language
https://en.wikipedia...amming_language

Dude.. I am writing code right now. So yeah.. I have experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:09 PM

Thanks again my guy.

By correlating, I mean how they can be used with each other, if they can.

My bad though, let me be more specific on what I meant for experience. Is coding a really difficult task as people see it in movies, is it tedious, is it pretty cool, and is it usually direct when writing it (direct being if you already know all types of commands so you don't need to research it up or if it's forgettable).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:57 PM

It seems silly to ask "what it's like to program a computer". First of all, it'll be different for everyone who does it, depending on details of their personality (what do they find enjoyable? what sorts of problems do they like to solve? are the problems that bother them from day to day ones that are easily addressed with computers? etc, etc) and on how they experience programming (writing BASIC on an Apple ][ in junior high school was very different from writing Pascal on an IBM PS/2 in high school, trying to figure out how to write a very difficult programming with no understanding of the real problems involved was very frustrating but learning to sieve prime numbers from a mathematician who understood computation was enlightening, fighting with PHP is very different from cooperating with python, etc, etc). "Is programming a difficult task?" Well, obviously it'll depend on what you're trying to do, how well you understand the problems, the tools, and the theory, how well the tools match up with the problem, and so forth. Obviously, if you have a very defined problem domain and a well-made language that specializes in that domain, and you understand that language well, then solving problems in that domain will in generally be just a matter of understanding the requirements and translating them into the language the machine understands. (a good front-end developer can fine-tune a user's experience down to the minutest details, a skilled data scientist can use R or MatLab or some similar tool to explain and predict from a dataset). On the other hand, producing a general solution to a novel problem, in a general-purpose language, can be a deep and complex problem, and understanding the problem you're trying to solve, in all its depths, is generally the hardest part of all.
"Is it tedious?" Depends what you like doing. Me, I find front-end development to be tedious and difficult and frustrating, because I don't enjoy it and I don't care that much about it. Others take great delight in it.
It's all going to depend on the person. Bringing me to the second point: it's a lot easier to answer the question by doing it than by asking it. Might as well learn some python and start seeing what writing programs feels like to you, when you do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

Thank you my guy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1