3 Replies - 406 Views - Last Post: 14 November 2017 - 10:08 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best Book / Website for programming concepts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Hello,

Whilst I am new to Java (still currently learning at University based around a full time job), but I am getting on well with the code and syntax. This is not really proving an issue.

However I am finding that whilst the university material I am studying is very good at explaining the basics behind the code and the syntax, it rarely touches the subject of programming concepts.

For me, my issue is now a case of knowing the code, but wondering how to apply it.

What I want is to know if there are any good website or books out there that go into depth about how to take an idea for an application and then work out the best format and design for the program / package.

The more code I learn, the happier I am, but also the more daunted I am by taking a simple idea for a program and actually coming up with a working solution.

For instance, I want to use my new found knowledge to build a simple form that takes anything between 8 to 10 different input boxes (JTextField's) and then feed it into the Java database that I can run from Netbeans. I know exactly what data the form will ask for, and I even have the basic knowledge for the netbeans database. But I am lacking the experience or knowledge of how to take my idea and make a start in designing it in the correct fashion.

Any idea's or recommendations of some good website or material would be really helpful.

Thanks Everyone.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best Book / Website for programming concepts

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best Book / Website for programming concepts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

Yes.. there are a ton of "software design" theory books on Amazon. Check out one that is highly reviewed and pretty recent.

But I am lacking the experience or knowledge of how to take my idea and make a start in designing it in the correct fashion.

I am confused.. you know what your UI form should look like.. so.. start there? You know what your DB will look like.. sweet.. make that. From there you just need to figure out how to interact with your database and there are tutorials, book chapters, and videos on 'database interaction with java'

Take a topic.. split it down into parts and set an order. If it is still daunting then split those sections up into manageable parts and review. Split that log until you have pieces you can carry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:04 AM

Modi123_1

True I probably do have enough of an idea regarding this idea.

However, it is the designing of applications in general that I would love to get my head around.

My long term goal of course is to find employment within software - currently I am a data / MI analyst and build reports and look after SQL databases.

What I would love is to be able to have a new employer dump a problem on my desk and actually have the knowledge of how to break down the problem into a software solution.

But thanks for the input, I will certainly check out Amazon for possible titles and see what kind of feedback there is in the reviews.

Kind Regards
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:08 AM

Well sure.. that's typically the plan as a programmer. Someone has a concept and you churn that into code. The fun part is when there are no tutorials and the path hasn't been trod before so there is no hand holding.. when you have to take two concepts and mash them together. Certainly that takes experience, a bit of research ability, and logical thinking.

You want to be able do to that then _do_ projects. Heck we have threads with LISTS of projects. They all seem to follow a general gait.

- List out all the features..
- Mark which are required for minimal viable project..
- Order which would probably go first..
- Then list out the processes, users, actions, etc.
- Drill down into them if you are unclear.
- Keep drilling until you get concepts you are familiar with or you feel comfortable to use a search engine to read about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1