4 Replies - 155 Views - Last Post: 29 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New to coding

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:33 AM

Hello, I mostly go by the nick name of Clyde. I am completely new to coding with any language. Based on all the research I have already done, I believe C++ is an extremely popular coding language to learn so its the one I am choosing to learn first. I would eventually like to develop software as a career when I separate from the Army. I will be attending school to get a BC in software development to help me with this goal as well. Currently looking to find some simple beginner programs to develop even if they have already been done a thousand times. I have already done the "Hello World" introduction several times already. Looking to move on to something bigger.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New to coding

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to coding

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:23 AM

Welcome!

If you are looking for projects we do have a few project lists:

Project Ideas

Martyr2 Mega Project List
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

projecteuler.net, rosalind.info, and codeeval.com all have lots of useful "code kata" exercises. Project Euler is mostly about mathy problems, Rosalind is about bioinformatics and algorithms, and codeeval does mostly problems that feel like interview questions. I would suggest you try those three and figure out which one seems like the most fun, and then see how far you can get on their problem set. Note that solving the more advanced Euler problems requires a degree of mathematical insight and a certain amount of background. You might find that you stall out on those problems after an initial flurry of solutions - if so, you're probably not having trouble with your programming skills, but rather with a lack of mathematical training. A good course in discrete math would be a good starting place for addressing that.

Also, I find it's fun to implement games based on David Ahl's book "Basic Computer Games" - Ahl provides a rough spec of the game, plus an implementation in BASIC, you get to riff on that. The book is free online, google knows where to find it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:05 AM

Awesome, thanks for helping me out. I will definitely be checking all of these out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

Welcome aboard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1