3 Replies - 254 Views - Last Post: 23 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

In need of guidance (app development)

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

Hello fellow geeks,

I need pointing in the right direction. Iím a geek but no programmer (I knew a little bit of Java).

Iím looking to build a Shpock clone. I want to learn how itís made. I think I would use a cross platform technology such as Xamarin or React Native, can anyone help? I realise that the source code isnít accessible.

Thank you for your precious time. :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: In need of guidance (app development)

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: In need of guidance (app development)

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

Let's compare this to another industry. I like using architecture because there are lots of similarities because you have to design before you build... you have to design with an understanding of lots of different technologies... you have to plan for the reality of use by humans... plan for expansion later... plan for replacing parts that become out dated and need retro-fitting...

You would never say... "I want to build a clone of the Chicago Sears Tower as my first project". You start with a bird house, then a dog house, small pump house, outhouse, {...} shed, garage, cottage ... and you keep building your skills and getting into larger and larger projects until you can finally build commercial-grade constructs.

Its the same with software. You don't just jump in without knowing anything including a coding language such as C#, any of the foundation concepts, never having made so much as a pocket calculator app, no client/server interaction, and say "I'm going to build an on-line ecommerce app."

I like where you're going with using Xamarin to build the app in a cross-platform way. You need to start with learning C#. That's going to meaning at least 6 months of solid work through books, community college, or an on-line university. NO, it does not mean YouTube videos by 30 different people in their mom's basements. If you want to produce commercial-grade software then spend the time and money on commercial-grade education. Xamarin University does teach C#. Since they are a flat-rate schooling system its not a bad way to go. For the same monthly fee you can take as many courses as you can fit into your schedule.

Moving forward from learning the basics of C#... If you want to clone that shoe sales app think about all the parts you'll need to learn how to do.
You'll need a server service that provides all the products... the artwork... etc. So learn how to consume web services before you figure out how to write them. Learn how to consume The Weather Channel feeds... IMDB.COM... etc.

IMDB.com might actually be a good source for you. Once you can figure out how to consume web data, you have to present it. If you can consume their data for a bunch of movies and how to present it as a grid on a phone, you can do the same with shoes.

And you're going to have to learn how to do encryption... create preferences... databases... graphics...

You're starting out on a long journey. But one many of us find very rewarding. Its an exciting time for you.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 23 November 2017 - 06:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

I want to thank you Sir for taking the time to reply. Your insight has helped me make a decision, one that will let you down but a decision nonetheless. I believe your answer will be incredibly helpful to others with the same question.

Itís clear that I donít have the time or the self determination to learn code and Iím glad Iíve realised this early on. I can draw wire frames, work out the basic logic but in order to for my app to materialize I must befriend a programmer or find some magical native app builder (which I doubt is capable of such an app, please prove me wrong).

By now youíve probably guessed that a Shpock clone was purely for learning purposes, I have a plan but Iím missing a builder.

That builder is not me. I would rather hustle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

We have an area for hiring if you want to pay someone to build it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1