11 Replies - 532 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hopeless and crying for help

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

I went to this 'established' school in my country where I spent almost 1.5years studying full-time.

It is a crazy course where I got to learn about system analysis and did programming in C# and java.

The environment was so competitive, it was something that cross appear in my mind and ignorant about when I enrolled for this course.

After failing for 2 terms, I managed to salvage my grade, with tremendous effort.

The thing is that the school now failed me for the whole course and refused to give me my graduate diploma.

And I just discovered that the school reply to me(After refusing to see me for a talk and chasing them for more than half a year) was that I did not complete my deliverable with satisfaction, and they had sent an advisor to my internship company which NEVER happened. Even though I told them the truth, they refused to admit their mistake.

I can't do anything to them since they are given autonomous right.

And I am completely surprised an established school can do something like that.

The internship company supervisor whose ego that I did not manage refused to pass me, even though I did alot more in a 8 men month project ALONE and a language I am not familiar.

I wasn't told of any deliverable so I thought as long as I put in the hard work, I will the most get a lousy grade.

During internship, I was given this database server to work on, in which the sql statement will only be able to execute only after a few hours. Everyday was like that. This egoisitic supervisor would not help me, no matter what I told him and show him.

Now, I am stuck and cried my heart out but the local government just refused to help and said that the school has autonomous right.

And I just can't venture into software development cos most companies here would not see me for interview, without relevant certificate.

What will you guys do in my case ?

Will another university accept me to complete my course in another country ?

Plus I am so old already and it seems like destiny would not allow me to be successful in software development.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hopeless and crying for help

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hopeless and crying for help

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:01 PM

I would certainly try this first.

Plus I am so old already

Got a range on that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:30 AM

View Postkarengsh, on 28 November 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

What will you guys do in my case ?

I would move past it. What path gets you towards your goal? Does getting a job require this school or other schooling? & I mean, actually require it, not that you think does, but an actual listed requirement? I would study on my own. Learn what I can before signing up for a class. Work freelance. Help others to gain experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

First off, you're never too old to learn something new, or switch careers. You could try in a different country, as it might be cheaper in some cases and you could get a cleaner slate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

Our OP is in Singapore as best as I can guess from the CloudFlare information. Although the country culture an amalgam of 3 different cultures, unfortunately, it 3 different cultures which are all very patriarchal and male dominated and makes the saying "who you know opens doors". So unless our OP has that magic "friend of a friend", or is unwilling to take advantage of a "good ole' boy" network a lot of doors will be shut. Complaining to the Singaporean Ministry of Education isn't going to do much because (1) the MOE actually oversees many of the technical schools and colleges directly; and (2) the Singaporean MOE is so perfect, there isn't even a menu item on their website pointing to where to voice a complaint.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

[quote name='modi123_1' date='29 November 2017 - 05:01 AM' timestamp='1511931690' post='2345681']

I would certainly try this first.

Can I know what country and university that has the lowest cost that I can try ?
Also, my GPA is really lousy cos I spent my time working while studying.
And now after chasing the school for a reply plus looking after my father who got stroke for almost 1 year now, I am pretty broke.

Is it easy to apply java developer job in other countries based on my situation to get some money first ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:19 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 29 November 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

First off, you're never too old to learn something new, or switch careers. You could try in a different country, as it might be cheaper in some cases and you could get a cleaner slate.

Hi NeoTifa,

Do you know which country is cheaper and the course is good ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:47 PM

What is your objective? If it is a matter of learning how to program, as you have probably discovered by now, you do not really need a school to do this.

If it is a matter of having a piece of paper to get a foot into the door until you have enough experience that potential employers don't even bother looking at where you went to school and what you studied, then yes finding the cheapest school that you can find maybe useful assuming that places where you apply for work don't discriminate based on where you went to school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

View Postkarengsh, on 03 December 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostNeoTifa, on 29 November 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Hi NeoTifa,

Do you know which country is cheaper and the course is good ?

Any but the USA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:26 AM

You are relatively close to the Philippines. Your Singaporean dollars should go a long way. Lots of colleges and tech schools there. If you have doubts about the quality of education for programming, consider where the "I Love You" virus came from. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

ily 2 bb boi
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -