7 Replies - 340 Views - Last Post: 05 December 2017 - 12:59 PM Rate Topic: ****- 2 Votes

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Strange Error in visual Studio

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:18 AM

I wrote a little timer app a couple of weeks ago and it works GREAT but I want to expand on it now but when I load the project in visual studio I now am greeted with a ton of errors in the project.

Posted Image

The error list has 29 errors because now my imports are not working :(/>

Namespace or type specified in the Imports 'System.Data.Sql' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases. CountDown D:\Hold\CountDown\CountDown\CountDown\Modules\Alarm.vb 1 Active

this is one of them.

What would cause my defines to all of a sudden not work? I've tried to re-target to a different version of .net just incase that was causing it but it doesn't make any difference.

I've tried to "fix" any issues with visual studio by uninstalling it and re-installing it but it doesn't help.

Any valid suggestions to help me fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Even stranger. I create a new project and paste all the imports into a new form and no errors or issues as far as the imports go. [no green squiggly lines]

Now I am totally lost. Sigh.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Strange Error in visual Studio

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Strange Error in visual Studio

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

Make a new project.
Copy over the existing files.
Make sure to back up the project in some sort of source control.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 01 December 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Make a new project.
Copy over the existing files.
Make sure to back up the project in some sort of source control.

Thanks for the reply but I totally boogered my VS :( I tried to install the update but it failed at about 90% [weill it completed with warnings and now won't work at all]. Last time I did not it would not even uninstall properly which keeps it from installing again as well. I did do a full backup about a week ago so I can restore it. but wow what a pain. Sigh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:05 PM

Yeah.. not sure what you did there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:43 AM

For what it's worth Visual Studio is a complete pain to uninstall, however with the help from MSDN you normally can do it:

https://msdn.microso...y/mt720585.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 Radius Nightly  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:55 AM

I think you should first check your project. As modi said, its also happening to me from time to time, really rare, same code, a valid one, stop working without a reason, without modifications, making a new project, copy/paste same code into a new project makes it work, i guess its some kind of bug on non-ECC RAM or so. Maybe you turned your PC off by force while you were in the project, or you installed something else that overwrite some VB files, in that scenario i would blame VB and try to fix it, but because it may be complicated, take your backup and test the project first.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

After I restored my backup I did end up making a new project. All I needed to do is make a new main form. Copy and pasted the code and then just added all the other forms and modules as they were and Bob's your uncle.

All is fine again but there is no rhyme or reason as to why this happened in the first place.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 05 December 2017 - 01:06 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed previous quote, just press REPLY

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Radius Nightly  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:59 PM

I know, it happens from time to time, really rare, IDK why, probably some bug due to complex operations software are deal with, or i think best explanation would be non-ECC RAM that can make a really little error saving broken file, ruining whole project from working.
Making a new project and copy/paste code from old project into a new one always help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1