Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 2416 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Help Setting up a web server

Post icon  Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

Hi all!

My dad wants me to launch a website for his company, I don't know much about how to do such a thing! :huh: I want to run the website from my own computer at home. What I need is a good, clear, step-by-step, & free tutorial or ebook on how to set up & run my own web server.

Thank You. :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help Setting up a web server

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help Setting up a web server

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:33 AM

http://www.ubuntugee...rver-setup.html
http://www.foogazi.c...tu-lamp-server/

The first one more than the second. These are both Apache 2 on Ubuntu Linux guides, so if you need IIS, or Apache on Windows, I'd recommend hitting up Google.

This post has been edited by MorphiusFaydal: 13 January 2008 - 12:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

View Postaj32, on 12 Jan, 2008 - 07:52 PM, said:

Hi all!

My dad wants me to launch a website for his company, I don't know much about how to do such a thing! :huh: I want to run the website from my own computer at home. What I need is a good, clear, step-by-step, & free tutorial or ebook on how to set up & run my own web server.

Thank You. :)

Running a website from home isn't always a great idea.

1.) You'll need to purchase a business account with your ISP. Most ISPs do not allow home accounts to use the standard ports for running web servers (80) & email (25 & 110).
2.) If the ISP does not block these ports, most email filters will block & in worse case black-list residential IP blocks. This means 3 to 6 months after registering the .com (or respective web address) the domain you registered will more than likely be added to black lists for spam.
3.) PC stands for personal computer, & it is just that.
4.) You'll need to run some sort of redundant power supply for in case of power failure.

If you want your site to make money, then put the investment into the site. Otherwise, a year or two down the road, when you are dependent on making that money month to month, if something goes wrong, it is usually catastrophic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I liek milk!!1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

To be quite honest, it would be a lot more cost effective and time effective to subscribe to a hosting service such as 1and1
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 14 Jan, 2008 - 11:43 AM, said:

1.) You'll need to purchase a business account with your ISP. Most ISPs do not allow home accounts to use the standard ports for running web servers (80) & email (25 & 110).
2.) If the ISP does not block these ports, most email filters will block & in worse case black-list residential IP blocks. This means 3 to 6 months after registering the .com (or respective web address) the domain you registered will more than likely be added to black lists for spam.

My residential AT&T DSL service lets me host my website just fine. The only, and I mean only, think I'm not allowed to do is an e-mail server (port 25, although they'll shut me down if they catch one on another port). Not that I care about running e-mail. Apache is all I need. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

My cable ISP says that it does not block port 80.

3.) PC stands for personal computer, & it is just that.

I am not trying to run the website on a PC, I have a server that says it is capable of running a website, I can install either Linux or Windows XP Pro on it. I am planning to use this.

4.) You'll need to run some sort of redundant power supply for in case of power failure.

Yes, I have a UPS.

If you want your site to make money, then put the investment into the site. Otherwise, a year or two down the road, when you are dependent on making that money month to month, if something goes wrong, it is usually catastrophic.

The website itself is not to actually make money, it is just showing what the company does and it's services, The company has been running for almost 20 years without one, we just thought it would be nice to get a website for it.

Thank you very much for your help. :)

This post has been edited by aj32: 15 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hi all!

I just wanted to let you know that I got my web site up and working good! (I just finish the site!)

Thank you all for your help!

This post has been edited by aj32: 20 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:30 AM

The 2 links that where posted earlier in this tread, i checked out breify. i havnt had much time yet to read full the whole thng. But let me tell you what i have going on. I am working on building a couple of websites that require media flash server in order to host them. the current hostng site i have now (www.bluehost.com) doesnt offer media flash server. The few hosting companies ive found so far that offer media flash server charge an outragous amount of money for just a little bit of space. I have decided I want to run my own server with media flash insalled. Does anyone know how much trouble it would be to set up my own server and host my own sites? i have little programming experience, but i am a very quick learner. I do know that i will have to contact my ISP about a business account. But other than that, im not sure cause i have never done this before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

View PostHornsby2004, on 8 Apr, 2008 - 12:30 PM, said:

The 2 links that where posted earlier in this tread, i checked out breify. i havnt had much time yet to read full the whole thng. But let me tell you what i have going on. I am working on building a couple of websites that require media flash server in order to host them. the current hostng site i have now (www.bluehost.com) doesnt offer media flash server. The few hosting companies ive found so far that offer media flash server charge an outragous amount of money for just a little bit of space. I have decided I want to run my own server with media flash insalled. Does anyone know how much trouble it would be to set up my own server and host my own sites? i have little programming experience, but i am a very quick learner. I do know that i will have to contact my ISP about a business account. But other than that, im not sure cause i have never done this before.

At first, I didn't have any idea of how to do any of this, but I found this tutorial and not too long after that, I am now running 4 servers, and setting up another one!

That tutorial is really the best one i've ever seen, it explains everything from a web server to a mail server!

good luck Hornsby! ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

Setting up your own server ran from your own pc is a daunting task. Firstly the more users connecting to your site, the more bandwidth used. What if your PC breaks, what if your PC gets hacked?

In the end, its just not worth it. Buying some space on the web is the best way to go. Its more secure more, reliable and you don't have to maintain as much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

What is it with people digging up 5-month old threads, answering a question that has already been answered, then asking the same questions that have already been answered.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1