8 Replies - 1150 Views - Last Post: 23 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

#1 jstephens  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 214
  • Joined: 07-November 05

Need help with design of website

Post icon  Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

For the past several days I have been trying to design a small website for myself. I want something that looks professional. The website would be like a portfolio. However I keep drawing a blank on designs. My question is how do you begin your design of site layouts? Where do you get your inspiration from? What are some good sites for finding color schemes to work with? If you have any rituals that you use then please share.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need help with design of website

#2 axel  Icon User is offline

  • Bug Juice Doesn't Come in a Jar
  • member icon

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,944
  • Joined: 31-December 06

Re: Need help with design of website

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

I still fairly new to web design, but I have done a few sites so I shall share my input.

First of all, look at other sites that are related to your site for design ideas. I am in the process of making a forum, so I looked up a bunch of forums on google and looked at their designs, and took bits a pieces from them and kinda mushed them all into one design.

Color scheme is pretty important, but that is always an easy thing to change later on. Just start out with what you think looks good, and then get some input on the colors when you have finished designing the site. The Site Check forum is wonderful for that kind of thing :)

I basically work from the top down on my web sites. Start with the banner or logo and just start working your way down. Things fall into place pretty easily for me. It also always helps to sketch down your layout onto a sheet of paper and go from there.


Hope that helps :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 supersssweety  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 22
  • View blog
  • Posts: 373
  • Joined: 16-March 07

Re: Need help with design of website

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:45 PM

http://www.csszengarden.com

click the links and they will take you to different designs, the content is the same but the designs are different, you don't want to copy these but they can inspire you, you can find a color scheme or different ways you may want to piece your site together...when I draw a blank this is where I go

the thing is these guys are professional designers, so the stuff looks really fancy. if you want to copy thier css don't click the link, most of the time its wrong, use firefox to show you the css

This post has been edited by supersssweety: 12 January 2008 - 10:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jstephens  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 214
  • Joined: 07-November 05

Re: Need help with design of website

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the help. CSS Zen graden was a nice link thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 MitkOK  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 32
  • View blog
  • Posts: 403
  • Joined: 09-August 07

Re: Need help with design of website

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

http://cssvault.com/

http://www.stylegala.com/

http://cssmania.com/

http://www.web20developers.com/

http://www.web-inspiration.org/

http://www.cssbeauty.com/

http://bestwebgallery.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 ReekenX  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 20-January 07

Re: Need help with design of website

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:51 AM

View Postjstephens, on 12 Jan, 2008 - 08:17 PM, said:

For the past several days I have been trying to design a small website for myself. I want something that looks professional. The website would be like a portfolio. However I keep drawing a blank on designs. My question is how do you begin your design of site layouts? Where do you get your inspiration from? What are some good sites for finding color schemes to work with? If you have any rituals that you use then please share.


I have created more than 25 web sites. Inspiration I get from others web sites :) If you need, I can send you list from over 50 links where you can find templates for your site ;) :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Akelo  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 98
  • Joined: 12-December 07

Re: Need help with design of website

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

Read books on design concepts. I mean concepts, not coding. For example, knowing that the eye naturally wants to float from the top left to the bottom right, so one could feasibly go from strongest emphasis in the top left to least in the bottom right (notice how the banners go in the top and center while nav goes on the top bar right below that or off on the left side below the banner?). That is just common practice, by all means, it's a creative medium, but reading books on typography might also give you a little help as well.
One of my favorite mags is .net, Practical Web Design. They give a lot of info and showcase a lot of high end websites, and some of these might strike a fancy for you (they also do a lot of work with css/flash/php tutorials amongst a wide selection of other technologies). CSS Zen Garden as mentioned is fantastic...I usually troll through the designs until I find a feature they did and find out how the code works (i have a binder with printed css info, and it's marked to hell with HOW they did what they did).

One book I'd suggest is by david shea, the guy who created csszengarden.com, called Zen Garden. It's a book that goes through a lot of the different templates, and why each of the individual contributors made their page in that specific manner AND what problems they had. It's a big book for insipiration. FYI, try to find it used, the book is a bit pricey for its weight =P, considering it's not a technical manual so to speak.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jstephens  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 2
  • View blog
  • Posts: 214
  • Joined: 07-November 05

Re: Need help with design of website

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

I could not find the Zen garden but I did find a book called the Zen of CSS design. Is that the book? If so seems like amazon is running a decent price for it at 26.99
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Akelo  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 98
  • Joined: 12-December 07

Re: Need help with design of website

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

View Postjstephens, on 18 Jan, 2008 - 06:38 PM, said:

I could not find the Zen garden but I did find a book called the Zen of CSS design. Is that the book? If so seems like amazon is running a decent price for it at 26.99


Yep, that's the one. I was running out the door this morning and looked on the floor and saw the book (and reread the title), and thought to myself what a dunce I was for putting up the wrong book title. That's the one. Interesting read for sure :).

View PostReekenX, on 18 Jan, 2008 - 08:51 AM, said:

View Postjstephens, on 12 Jan, 2008 - 08:17 PM, said:

For the past several days I have been trying to design a small website for myself. I want something that looks professional. The website would be like a portfolio. However I keep drawing a blank on designs. My question is how do you begin your design of site layouts? Where do you get your inspiration from? What are some good sites for finding color schemes to work with? If you have any rituals that you use then please share.


I have created more than 25 web sites. Inspiration I get from others web sites :) If you need, I can send you list from over 50 links where you can find templates for your site ;) :D


Hey Reeken, can you post those links or send them to bostwick@cbost.net? I'd be interested in any and all layouts. Also, anyone have any good links for the faux fluid designs? They allow for resizing of columns for content and browser resolution. I've started reading up on them, and they're pretty cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1