2 Replies - 115 Views - Last Post: 06 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I'm Timberwolf

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

I have a few hobbies, including coding, ham radio, and collecting Pokemon cards. I like steak and pizza. I came to DIC because StackOverflow sucks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I'm Timberwolf

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I'm Timberwolf

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Welcome to DIC! To be honest, this site sucks at some things too, but mostly they're the things that stack overflow is really good at (like maintaining a reasonably searchable database of questions whose answers can be boiled down to a few steps which would need to be carefully teased out of piles of inadequate documentation)

What we're good at is helping people work out answers to more interesting problems. That, and random BS in the Lounge, we're good at that too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: I'm Timberwolf

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 05 January 2018 - 05:14 PM, said:

Welcome to DIC! To be honest, this site sucks at some things too, but mostly they're the things that stack overflow is really good at (like maintaining a reasonably searchable database of questions whose answers can be boiled down to a few steps which would need to be carefully teased out of piles of inadequate documentation)

What we're good at is helping people work out answers to more interesting problems. That, and random BS in the Lounge, we're good at that too.

Stack overflow is also unforgiving. You miss one thing and you'll 15 down votes and a question ban. I had to work my ass off to remove a question ban 4 times before I gave up. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle anymore. I asked a legit question with questionable morals for educational purposes and got berated in comments and 8 down votes. Next time I needed to ask a question it told me I had another question ban. I was hoping to find a place to ask programming questions that the community wasn't consisting of snobby pricks on their high horses. Thought I'd give DIC a try.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1