5 Replies - 255 Views - Last Post: 08 January 2018 - 04:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Moving on from Winforms. WPF or Web Based?

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:15 AM

Hi All, (hopefully the right location) I know there is a lot of discussion regarding moving on from winforms, but i'm going to ask again, specifically the question on what to move to? I'm tossing up if I move to WPF or to a web based technology?

I currently develop primarily in winforms business applications and have been doing some reading into Wpf as it seems that this is the logical step forward for development (and smarter UI's). There has recently been some requests for offsite/mobile access to some of our systems so I'm wondering if web based is a better way to go?

If so, what web based technology should I be looking at? I have lots of experience in vb.net and good understanding of c#.net. Experience in HTML/CSS, basic experience with PHP/JAVA.

If I'm allocating time/resource to update my skill set, should I spend the time learning more Wpf/C# or spend the time moving to web technology (can Wpf be easily transitioned to web)? If so, what is the best combination/technology/language that gives me the most rounded skill set for business applications (including the need to be functional on mobile)?

Any suggested tutorials that anyone has seen?

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Moving on from Winforms. WPF or Web Based?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Moving on from Winforms. WPF or Web Based?

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

If you want to continue having a desktop app then WPF or UWP would be the logical choice.

Depending on what "offside/mobile access" means.. which could be anything from a full blown website to an API or what not. If it's just an API I wouldn't flip an entire project over to being a web page just on that alone.

If you are in the .NET stack the new Core 2/Razor pages with ASP.NET is the better choice.

If you plan on venturing out of the .NET stack then I suggest calling a team meeting and get everyone's input.

"can Wpf be easily transitioned to web"
-ish? Depends on how you code it, how complex your code is, etc. No straight yes/no answer on your architecture.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

Going with WPF the correct way by re-architecting to follow the MVVM pattern will at the very least separate your UI from your models and business logic. With the UI divorced away, then in theory, the UI could be desktop based WPF, or web based Razor. That is the theory at least. What is not accounted for is that desktop apps allow for nice chatty communication between the front end UI and the backend models and business logic. You don't have that luxury of near zero latency for a web based app (even if the app is meant to only run an fast local network), as well as the stateless nature of web services. So, even more work needs to go into designing a web based backend as compared to a desktop based backend.

Going mobile does not automatically mean going web based. You could use Xamarin and be able to target mobile and desktop more easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

I second the move to Xamarin. Even if you want to, desktop apps in Xamarin can practically replace WPF. Think of Xamarin as the next generation of WPF. It will run on Windows desktop... and mac... and iPhones/iPads... Android devices... Windows Surface tablets etc. For the extra 15% of extra work who wouldn't want to be on all the extra platforms?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the reply's all. In the end, the thought of Web means that I can cater for Apple/Andriod devices without having to mess around with app stores. I'm pretty keen to stay in the .Net environment as it's something i'm comfortable with. The aim isn't to convert any of the existing applications over, but to move new project over to a new technology choice or to add additional functionality as required.

For Xamarin, are the apps "app store" or can they work on windows 7 environments as well?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:42 AM

Windows7 is too old for Xamarin support. The OS needs to be at least UWP compliant on Windows. But you don't have to distribute through the Windows store. Win7 only has 3 years of life left before support stops January 2020. While still the most popular version of Windows for many people, its not the Windows OS I would use as my target for future applications. The future includes touchscreen, multi-touch, tablets and so on; more and more every year. By the time you have an enterprise-grade app ready for full wide-spread deployment Win7 will be nearly out of support and any device running it will lack any features modern users expect anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1