• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 753 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Appreciated if there's assistance

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

Hello guys!

My name is Meracritus. Honestly, I did think that it would be better if I asked everywhere but introducing catetory, but I'm a exactly newbie about programming - even if I have thoughts already, I don't know the keyword to search for the solution, let alone other things.

So, in short, I want to write a small program, to generate Random Roman Style Names.

I know it's like this - For example:

Gaius Julius Caeser

therefore

Namelist   (A)   (B)/>     (C)

Unfortunately, it is the only thing that I Know. I have no clues about which language should I use to settle it.

Every tips, suggestions is highly appreciated.

Rule 101 - I would write & test the whole code with myself, of course.

---------------------------------------------
My Basic profile(as this goal)
---------------------------------------------

Nationality: Non-English native speaker

Learning: C language as popular(or used to be?)choice

Code platform: Windows 7, 32bits; CodeBlocks 17.22

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Appreciated if there's assistance

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Appreciated if there's assistance

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

If you want a desktop app.. sure.. c, c++, c#, java, Vb.NET, etc would be fine. Web could be html/javascript, php, ruby, ASP.NET, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 January 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

If you want a desktop app.. sure.. c, c++, c#, java, Vb.NET, etc would be fine. Web could be html/javascript, php, ruby, ASP.NET, etc.

Thanks for replying. However, I want to define my question clearly, so you could give me more accurate advice, as you wish.

It would be like this:

Posted Image

So, a GUI is required. And I would like to put 3 Namelists as three seperate txts, which allows me to add new names from time to time.

Thanks for your kindness!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

Its easy to make in any language. So question is, what language you are into, or what language you wanna start learning. Better to see first what each one looks like and what its their potential, if it can fit your needs/ideas.

Because, for this task, i think its easiest to make in some script language, very easy to learn, can be cross-platform, very compact, dont have to care about lots of things. Make a list of names, get a random one, its gonna have like 10 lines of code. Thats my opinion, doesnt mean its the right way for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:08 PM

GUI.. fair enough.. C#, java, python, VB.NET, etc all could work fine. I would typically shy away from c++/c for GUI, but I am partial to C#.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

View PostRadius Nightly, on 09 January 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

Its easy to make in any language. So question is, what language you are into, or what language you wanna start learning. Better to see first what each one looks like and what its their potential, if it can fit your needs/ideas.

Because, for this task, i think its easiest to make in some script language, very easy to learn, can be cross-platform, very compact, dont have to care about lots of things. Make a list of names, get a random one, its gonna have like 10 lines of code. Thats my opinion, doesnt mean its the right way for you.

Thanks you! I have provided some new details too. Please review it and give me advice, as you wish.

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 January 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

GUI.. fair enough.. C#, java, python, VB.NET, etc all could work fine. I would typically shy away from c++/c for GUI, but I am partial to C#.

Thanks. And I might need some keywords too, in case of finding exact functions, solutions etc with Google.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

I would suggest picking a language, grabbing a recent book on it, and digging in. A substantially faster, and more direct, route than randomly casting about for concepts and terms you are not aware/familiar with.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 January 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

I would suggest picking a language, grabbing a recent book on it, and digging in. A substantially faster, and more direct, route than randomly casting about for concepts and terms you are not aware/familiar with.

I see. But I'm more interested with Radius Nightly's advice. You don't have to, although I will be delighted if you could give me some tips as this way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

I think VB.NET are simple to start with for GUI. Maybe at first its gonna look like too complicated, too much things, but simply use what you need, with time you will get some progress. If you dont like it, or it doesnt fit your needs, like future projects, check other things modi recommended.

If you think about script language, it is easy, compact, fast, but usually there are no compiler for scripts, means its gonna be open source and its gonna depend on interpreter. In most scenarios its easy, but it have even more limitations for some other things, and making it in a script are sometimes equal to making something from the beginning (the things that other languages have finished).

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 09 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

View PostRadius Nightly, on 09 January 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

I think VB.NET are simple to start with for GUI. Maybe at first its gonna look like too complicated, too much things, but simply use what you need, with time you will get some progress. If you dont like it, or it doesnt fit your needs, like future projects, check other things modi recommended.

Thank you. Actually, I have thought about using Delphi - I have tried to learn it before, but gave up soon as I have no gifts for it.

So I just using VB.NET, or VB plus other language to cross-platforming(Sorry to put it like this, I'm newbie)?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

I dont think VB.NET are cross-platform, because its from Microsoft.
But if you get C++, Microsoft also support programming Android applications.
So yeah, depends what you are looking for, each language are good for something, and if you pick a wrong tool for a different task, its gonna be a big problem.

Modi would recommend to start with a book, from beginning to the end, to understand what you learn, trough most things, while i like alternative ways (usually, do something and see the outcome). I would rather type some example, like print hello word, and then search on google all about print function, or check the documentation about it, then i would see unknown word, like string, and then find and read about what it is. After some commands, i would set some easy task, like programming simple and stupid things, like copy files, searching for commands and reading about them, finding the new commands and unknown words i dont know, like googling whats null, whats the meaning of returns, etc., to understand it, what they are doing, how they work, in a meantime im learning syntax and writing more complex code. With each next project im learning something new, expanding my knowledge over time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

View PostRadius Nightly, on 09 January 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

I dont think VB.NET are cross-platform, because its from Microsoft.
But if you get C++, Microsoft also support programming Android applications.
So yeah, depends what you are looking for, each language are good for something, and if you pick a wrong tool for a different task, its gonna be a big problem.

Modi would recommend to start with a book, from beginning to the end, to understand what you learn, trough most things, while i like alternative ways (usually, do something and see the outcome). I would rather type some example, like print hello word, and then search on google all about print function, or check the documentation about it, then i would see unknown word, like string, and then find and read about what it is. After some commands, i would set some easy task, like programming simple and stupid things, like copy files, searching for commands and reading about them, finding the new commands and unknown words i dont know, like googling whats null, whats the meaning of returns, etc., to understand it, what they are doing, how they work, in a meantime im learning syntax and writing more complex code. With each next project im learning something new, expanding my knowledge over time.

We share the same learning style, which is great news for me. I want to try the way as cross-platforming(But I have no clues about the exact language pair).

Actually I want to write a simple strategy game based on Roman Ages for self-entertainment, but I need this program as my solid first step. Please continue, I would like to hear more words from you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

Delphi? Where in the world would you have picked up that one?

There is no VB+.. Only VB.NET and, bleh, VB6.. Don't use VB6.

Which platforms do you think you need to run this on? Mono works well for running .NET as well does installing .NET Core2 on linux and macOS.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 January 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

Delphi? Where in the world would you have picked up that one?

There is no VB+.. Only VB.NET and, bleh, VB6.. Don't use VB6.

Which platforms do you think you need to run this on? Mono works well for running .NET as well does installing .NET Core2 on linux and macOS.

My boss - he's programmer, while I'm not yet, have used Delphi to develop game 8 years ago, a light strategy game based on 20th century history, so that I heard about Delphi.

I would like to run this name generator at my laptop, with Windows 7.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

Then maybe cross the bridge of 'multiplatform' after you learn how to program and make a few things. No reason to add problems you haven't faced to your bundle of sticks this early in the game.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +