• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 1323 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Appreciated if there's assistance

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 January 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

Then maybe cross the bridge of 'multiplatform' after you learn how to program and make a few things. No reason to add problems you haven't faced to your bundle of sticks this early in the game.

OK. Your advice is reasonable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

Well, code can be cross-platform, such as console one or so, like Erlang language (can be run on Windows, Unix, Android, iPhone, and even Nokia 3310), some of them need to be compiled in different ways, like using mingw to make a code from Unix workable on Windows, and thats different story (as Modi said, you wanna avoid that one for the beginning), but with GUI, one GUI cant fit all possible operating systems, emulating with eg. Wine can work, but its very tricky, not something you wanna relay on. Except HTML/PHP/CSS/JS/Flash/etc. thats web-browser based.

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 09 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

Welcome to .NET Core -> multiplatform.. but again, that is putting a unneeded cart before the horse.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

View PostRadius Nightly, on 09 January 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

Well, code can be cross-platform, such as console one or so, like Erlang language (can be run on Windows, Unix, Android, iPhone, and even Nokia 3310), some of them need to be compiled in different ways, like using mingw to make a code from Unix workable on Windows, and thats different story, but with GUI, one GUI cant fit all possible operating systems, emulating with eg. Wine can work, but its very tricky. Except HTML/PHP/CSS/JS/Flash/etc. thats web-browser based.

Oh, Radius! I'm sorry, I have misunderstood something, because I'm not English native speaker. I'm not seeking for "cross-platform"(Running program at Windows, Linux, and Mac), but using several languages only, to achieve my goals.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, every word is good, and useful. I will start to pick up languages to learn as well as coding.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

Not too much about gaming development (except some engines where you need several peoples and combine several jobs, like modeling, texturing, animation, programing, audio, etc.).

As a starter, you dont wanna combine several languages for any purpose.

Some peoples here works in pygame. So maybe you may start with python and lua...

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 09 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

View PostRadius Nightly, on 09 January 2018 - 01:28 PM, said:

Not too much about gaming development (except some engines where you need several peoples and combine several jobs, like modeling, texturing, animation, programing, audio, etc.).

Thanks, but I just make a game for myself as self-entertainment only.

So coding and GUI are must, but other things not.

View PostRadius Nightly, on 09 January 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

As a starter, you dont wanna combine several languages for any purpose.

Some peoples here works in pygame. So maybe you may start with python and lua...

Lua is good. I'm interested to it already.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

But its not itself for GUI. In pygame its added as a option for easy game making.

Im programming in LUA that depends on VB.NET, so it can depend on lots of other things, like LUA in pygame. Usually some custom commands are pre-made for easier and faster coding. In LUA you can also write C (native) or Pure LUA (that doesnt depends on anything).

As i said at the beginning, not all languages would fit you for different tasks, but i mean also about syntax, because for example understanding python syntax will never get into my head, while others saying how easy it is, i will never get use to it.

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 09 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:46 PM

View PostRadius Nightly, on 09 January 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

But its not itself for GUI. In pygame its added as a option for easy game making.

Everything has its price. For example, I could edit txts in my paradox game(like VIC, EU Rome or EU 2) to make historial events, scenarios or MODs. But the key concepts are fixed. Given that I just make a light program for myself, I could have complete freedom when I dealing about
it.

I know I could make some things if I stick to one language, but it would be very violent way. I will have to write millions code, if I don't know how to use Custom function, thousands if I don't know how to combine different languages.

Anyway, I would like to start as this random name generator.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

Ah.. no. You shouldn't be trying to fumble around to combine languages this early in the game. Again, don't add more sticks to your load than you have to. Pick a language, knock out your requirements, and reflect. If you want to repeat it in another language then go for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 January 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

Ah.. no. You shouldn't be trying to fumble around to combine languages this early in the game. Again, don't add more sticks to your load than you have to. Pick a language, knock out your requirements, and reflect. If you want to repeat it in another language then go for it.

Calm down, modi. It's 04:52 here, and I need to have a rest first. When I wake up, I will follow your advice first, until I get bored.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

Okely dokely.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

Im working on LUA compiler (v5.3.4, x86 & x64). Not actually a compiler, but it protects a code in several ways, including paid solution, for peoples who wanna protect their code (to not be open source) and make it stand-alone/portable executable on Windows OS in less then a 1MB.

This is example how LUA are running:
Posted Image

No GUI, but for example it can be used to interact with GUI (as im doing on VB.NET, as pygame are doing, making LUA script in CheatEngine for hack wall, aimbots, etc., etc., etc.).

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 09 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:13 PM

BTW

View Postmeracritus, on 09 January 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

I will have to write millions code, if I don't know how to use Custom function, thousands if I don't know how to combine different languages.

You dont have to know multiple languages and combine them. Even programmers who work in game engine, doesnt have to communicate at all if its not connected. For example creating UI in game in LUA should talk with another programmer who are making this stuff, but dont have to communicate with programmer who are writing fx effects on the stage with 2D and 3D artists.

Each language got finished words (functions) to use, each one got rules when there is a comma, full stop, big letter (syntax). And you are able to make a sentence (code).
You can make a new word (function) for something special you need, to be able to call it. Like making a new word that have some new meaning to be able to write a meaningful sentence.

If you cant make something, due to language limitations, you can find a way around, usually using some other DLLs, thats written in another language and serves some purpose you need, it means you dont have to know it, you just call it, and its gonna do its job. Its like calling a policeman to do his job, you dont have to know anything about his job, and you have to test it before using it, as well knowing his bugs or so.

For example to create a "beep" sound from motherboard speaker (the sound you hear when you turn on a PC), lots of languages dont have finished functions for that, so, in some languages it may not be possible due to their limitations (like they cant do anything outside for what they are made, like expecting a formula to fly over the Mars on its own, or coding style in Flash for Java application, thats why you have to choose language you want to go into), and in some others it is possible to make, but req. useless big time to make it from nothing (and it could be a really long process sometimes, thats not your point to do). So instead you can use DLL thats located in every single Windows OS (if application are for Windows) and produce any "beep" you like from motherboard or chassis speaker, including all range of freq., flat, deep, pitch, and so on in hz, as well as duration, in a single line of code, so you can focus on more important work (eg. creating whole polyphony melody with that).

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 09 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

Thanks, Radius! I'll consider your words.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 10 January 2018 - 02:21 AM
Reason for edit:: removed previous quote, just use the REPLY button

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +