1 Replies - 159 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Internship in my senior year (due to late graduation)

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

Hi,
I was just wondering if it was common to get an internship until your senior year (summer), assuming you'll graduate later.
I transferred from a community college and even though I am considered a junior, I am behind in the CS coursework track. I don't think I'll graduate the year I am "expected" to graduate and on top of that, the possibility of landing an internship for this summer seems unlikely. I was unable to register for one of the toughest courses (Digital Logic) in my school this past summer as spots fill up pretty quickly. My counselor advised me to take the course this summer since it's not recommended to take it as an actual senior (apparently it has the highest senior fail percentages). So, If I do end up taking this course this upcoming summer, I'll still have the summer of my senior year to do an internship, as I won't be graduating that summer. Is this common? Or is it at least a good plan? I am concerned as I have never done an internship before and I know it is very important in order to earn experience. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Internship in my senior year (due to late graduation)

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Internship in my senior year (due to late graduation)

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

I transferred from a community college and even though I am considered a junior, I am behind in the CS coursework track.

Based on this, gauge it as if you were a rising junior rather than a rising senior. I would say it is perfectly normal to obtain an internship this summer, and I would encourage you to pursue it. Ultimately, an internship is far more valuable for getting a job than Digital Logic.

My counselor advised me to take the course this summer since it's not recommended to take it as an actual senior (apparently it has the highest senior fail percentages).

Courses with high upperclassmen fail rates occur for one of two reasons. The first reason is that it is an upper-division (junior/senior level) course, for which most students come in underprepared. The second reason is that folks put off a lower-level course until the bitter end, and they are rustier on their prereqs than the underclassmen. Calculus II often falls into the latter category. The juniors and seniors that take this class are usually weak students.

You should figure out in which category Digital Logic falls. I would also consider the following: is it normal for rising juniors to take Digital Logic? And when did you complete the relevant prereqs for the class?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1