• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

98 Replies - 3968 Views - Last Post: 24 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Why PHP sucks

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:25 AM

1. Partnership with Zend. Zend is of shitty quality. Pure madness.Zend forces itself into php and puts their shit wherever they like within the php code.

2. All this shit around MySQL extension :: it worked great but some crazy ass had an "briliant" idea to fuckin deprecate it and invented PDO as a replacement. PDO hardly ever works out-of-the-box, has messy code, many bugs and is generally heavier than MySQL extension.

3. PHP (with Zend) refuses to start/work on Arch Linux. Pure PHPO works nicely.

And many more......

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why PHP sucks

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Why PHP sucks

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:34 AM

View Postdev_, on 12 January 2018 - 06:25 AM, said:

1. Partnership with Zend. Zend is of shitty quality. Pure madness. Zend forces itself into php and puts their shit wherever they like within the php code.

I don't know anything about the politics or intricacies of Zend's influence into PHP but I've never seen an issue with it in my PHP work. I don't think they cause as much of a mess as you're yellin' about here, but I could be wrong. :P

2. All this shit around MySQL extension :: it worked great but some crazy ass had an "brilliant" idea to fuckin deprecate it and invented PDO as a replacement. PDO hardly ever works out-of-the-box, has messy code, many bugs and is generally heavier than MySQL extension.

I've literally never had an issue setting up PDO to work with any old MySQL project I've had before. It's really quite smooth, in my opinion. I've also never seen any significant weight with it. The functions for it seem fairly straightforward and bugs are minimal for me. Are you sure you're not just salty you have to learn something new? :whistling:

3. PHP (with Zend) refuses to start/work on Arch Linux. Pure PHPO works nicely.

That's a shame... oh, if only there were a choice of other OSes to run PHP on... :online2long:

I really like PHP, as a whole. Yeah, it has it's downsides, but from my experience as a hobbyist it has the most semantic and fluid coding style and functionality I could ask for. From C and Java to Lua, nothing has ever stood out to me for comfortable coding more than PHP.

Why so much salt, bro? :lol:
I'm salty we don't have a salt emote. :P

This post has been edited by Splashsky: 12 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:41 AM

Ahh dev_, if you only knew what you were talking about, your opinion would hold more weight.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:44 AM

astone, what's your opinion on PHP?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• blow up my boots
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

dev_ I've advised you about your language just recently. Calm it down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• blow up my boots
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:40 AM

Moved to PHP Discussion Lounge
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

So PHP sucks because of outside influence; from your list 1 & 3 are an outside vendor/independent 3rd party?

That's like saying Ford sucks because of what some racing company does to the F150
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

POPULAR

All this shit around MySQL extension :: it worked great but some crazy ass had an "briliant" idea to fuckin deprecate it and invented PDO as a replacement. PDO hardly ever works out-of-the-box, has messy code, many bugs and is generally heavier than MySQL extension.

Whoops, there went your credibility. The deprecated mysql extension sure worked great for writing awful code, if that's your goal. Too bad it doesn't have support for many of the most useful features of MySQL, but if you love trying to protect against SQL injection attacks then I guess it's the right thing for you. But don't worry, no one is forcing you to use PDO, it's merely the preferred method for many experienced programmers. If you love escaping your own data and trying to avoid prepared statements in general then you can use mysqli and its escape functions.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

POPULAR

These are not the reasons why PHP sucks.
(those reasons are well known and extensively documented and don't bear repeating here)
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

I can see why an argument for PHP sucks could be made, but not with your arguments dev_. People usually hate PHP for its dynamic typing and inconsistency with parameters in functions etc.

2. All this shit around MySQL extension :: it worked great but some crazy ass had an "briliant" idea to fuckin deprecate it and invented PDO as a replacement. PDO hardly ever works out-of-the-box, has messy code, many bugs and is generally heavier than MySQL extension.

I can't say I agree with any of that, but you do know that you can also use mysqli which almost exactly works just like the old mysql functions did if that makes it more comfortable for you. You can choose to use object or procedural style calling. The reason it was depreciated is because it was really prone to errors and injection attacks. Which is just not good.

I have experience working with several languages and while I can say that I sometimes miss the ability to have strong type safety, I do find that PHP is very flexible and with PHP 7 is also quite fast. It has its issues for sure, but work with it enough and you can often steer clear of them just by implementing good coding practices. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:04 AM

I've never seen a language that doesn't suck. Humans don't appear to be capable of creating one. Even spoken languages have big problems: homonyms can have vastly different meanings? Conjugating verbs change with gender?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

That's always the argument, but it ignores the fact that some languages can suck less than others. Sure, a lot of it ends up being subjective, and programming as a field suffers from any useful studies on what makes a language more "good" or effective than another, but PHP does, in fact, have some objective deficiencies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

For every Zend supporter here; let me quote one of mails we got yesterday from their to-be support.....
It reads (I ommit greetings and alike)::

(..)
WWe will not support you as you are not listed.
(..)

Its just polite way of saying fuck off. This was a reply we got after asking for support we are - supposedly - elidgible.

Not to mention we dont know (and dont want to know) what list they talked about. And its to be free product. BTW its licensed under GPL so one of their obligation is to provide (basic) support for free.

Not to mention their policy of spamming users' mailaccounts with crappy, virused ads of their to-be-briliant Zend Studio. Upon installation it becomes obvious that this to-be-briliant product is in fact same shitty Eclipse, just enriched with their home-made (another) shitty plugin. Thats all the magic.

This post has been edited by dev_: 13 January 2018 - 09:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:27 AM

I would imagine the rest of the email may contain clues to what 'listed' means.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 13 January 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

I would imagine the rest of the email may contain clues to what 'listed' means.

You couldnt be more wrong....
after denying support, all they wrote is

if you want paid support, have a go with one of our paid plans

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »