3 Replies - 227 Views - Last Post: 23 January 2018 - 03:34 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question about Windows encoding for VB Project

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:47 AM

This is from a .ZIP file.
For Windows files, for example, when you look at a file (besides a .txt file), many odd symbols are present such as:
PK
LH'L New Text document.txtPK
LH'L New Text document.txtPK C 3
For a .ZIP file and:
аЯрЁБс > ўџ Р њ ўџџџ О П џџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџџ@=№W ъUDn‰яЦѓDЄЛВ|Ц/x0 G НXp b/ % ўxке]hчqОН•ЃSr‘9]….TеЈВhўЖБJMАф8С–jR9ёƒlЧŽlЂHЦ
u-:Z?ДAqiV"‚!Е }i(MдзЦDІѕ‹!O-!M64 +Е $Nд™ogNsŸvЅ=ы.J†§~fчцfї[ ƒ#ф>ѓ 2Pќэ}ряZяэ0№R pqjРљљ)€NМї†Лї…s)@p?B+’ЛЯ ђН8^`жŸџБнЯ@И{v1ю†Nюbr-xŸŒлдј›wЧAЇgщњvVиъwBqhЃАЁї‡=OBэcOЄPјZдЏеИW€&XМ7Яу……k/gВ<іH„ZІЯИQkuЌЛќGѓаМŸD8fШhcкTППxХс†.8Gс€ѕыj~т‹VИЕ№
ы5иh]=—…ŽГќъПY˜Й‘ЕИ‡~dEЗіўˆзЮЗЗŸ>?wтЮїчM№=œћ[вЇѕЇу0ѓqОіЙофбq{бЄпЛч œ37ГRъ-?В[сш ™qоџ|n рѕф\жzЃv.ЄѓєH68џТ8œТ›ЗПћЇ...
For a .PPT file. What type of encoding are these files in?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question about Windows encoding for VB Project

• blow up my boots
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question about Windows encoding for VB Project

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:27 AM

.ppt is a binary file format, not intended to be human readable. Roughly, encoding largely refers to the range of possible languages and characters for text files (there are other kinds of encoding).

What are you trying to achieve with the VB project?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Custom Control Freak
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:26 AM

Every file on your hard drive is just a bunch of bytes ranging from 0 to 255 in value. However, every file type has it's own format of how these bytes are put together. A program that is meant to open and reads a specific file type knows how the data in that file is arranged and knows how to read each chunk of data from it.

The 'strange' characters you are looking at are not really 'strange', characters. These bytes of data in the file are not suppose to be read as letter characters. For example, if i save a binary file that has an Integer value saved in it, and since an Integer type is 4 bytes in length, the Integer would be written to the hard drive as 4 separate bytes. Saving an Integer of 123456789 to the hard drive would be these 4 bytes -> 21, 205, 91, 7. If you looked at them as characters, it would look something like this -> Í[. Note there are two characters that are of non-printable characters, the first (21) and last (7).

In short, you would need to know the format used for putting together each specific file type in order to know how to read the bytes and get information from them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the responses. I am currently just completing research on a compression project in Visual Basic. IronRazer, do you mind if you can point me in a direction of a more detailed explanation of what you stated above?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1