• +

43 Replies - 1801 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What do you fear the most ?

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

View Postsnoopy11, on 25 January 2018 - 03:29 AM, said:

Anyone who says they are not afraid of shit like that, is plainly not human...

I agree that it is reasonable to fear aging - but fear is there to tell you something. It's no good being afraid of something and not doing anything about it. I mean, when I get on my bike I am reasonably afraid of the mental cases in their metal boxes who want to kill me. I use that fear to remind me to look all ways at all times, to ride ahead of the bike and to know which ways I can dodge, and to be really good at braking safely. I've never been doored, I've never been side-swiped, and I've never gone over the hood of some jerkbait twatwobbler who pulled out without looking or took an unsignalled left turn, despite many opportunities to enjoy each of those experiences - because I use my fear of crazy people effectively. The only time I've ever come off my bike unintentionally was when my chain jammed as I was going up unto a bridge over the Fort Point Channel - and now I have a healthy fear of mechanical failure, so I take extra care with maintenance. Fear is useful, if you make use of it.

Now, it seems to me that you're not afraid of age, you're afraid of the possible degradations it can bring. Aging itself, you're probably looking forward to. (I base this on the fact that you have continued to do it) So are you using your fear of aging to drive your habits towards ones that would tend to mitigate the insults of age?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

Im afraid that pigs are one day gonna take over the world.

Its actually already happening. They, are, everywhere... they drive, they walk, have a job, they fly, they write, they steal, making weapons for mass destruction, they kill, they run, they are doing policeman jobs, think they are smart and intelligent beings. And if you do something to them, they have a law for animal abuse they write for themselves.

That's people. You're thinking about people.

I'm worried about you man, is everything OK at home?

No. Specifically, I am deathly afraid of june bugs, lightening bugs, cockroaches, any type of other beetle, cicadas/locusts.

My wife has that same kind of irrational fear, I don't get it. You're thousands of times larger than this thing, it literally has no possible way to hurt you in any way, but you're scared of it. The first time she saw a scorpion she had a panic attack so bad I could hear her crying from outside the house. She's getting better though.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

yeah im worried about him too lol...

weirdest thing ive seen in a while....

and ive seen a lot of weird stuff...

yeah i know what you are saying jon and yes i fight the causes of aging.....
but in the end i know dementia will get me personally i would prefer to go out with a quick heart attack !!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

I think I'm probably most scared of having to drive a car on a road in Russia. I should also probably stop watching Russian dashcam videos while I work. Although I've noticed that literally every car in Russia involved in an accident is apparently driven by the exact same man who shouts "Cyka blyat!" when things go tits up, so I guess if I just avoid that one guy I'll be fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

I'm afraid of heights. Ironic since I like skydiving. Yes, my heart rate goes up dramatically each time I get below a thousand feet under my canopy and need keep a close eye on the ground whenever I land my parachute at the airport instead of the student field. Out at the student field, I can mostly watch the horizon. I don't work on the roof of my house. When me co-workers and I did a high ropes course for team building, I never looked down.

Like Snoopy, I'm afraid of dementia, but to be more specific, I'm afraid of being trapped in my body and changing into something that I don't recognize. Whenever I have a fever, or have to take Nyquil, the nightmares that haunt me are being bitten by a vampire and turning into a vampire; or getting touched by the equivalent of the D&D version of the green slime monster; or being taken over by a doppleganger. The common theme is the loss of identity.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

Dude, you're older than me!?! Seriously? I'll be 50 at the end of the year... I had to double check, didn't know if I was 48 or 49. I don't really pay all that much attention to birthdays. They sort of sneak up on me and then I go to a nice restaurant and consider it handled.

Don't knock the Santa thing: chicks dig it! :P Yes, I have less and grayer hair than once before. Well, head hair isn't gray but I refuse to shave the beard. Did once and felt naked.

Fear? I've had cataract surgery. Both eyes. Blindness has always been on the list, so that was fun. Still, I now see UV, which is amusing.

Heights can occasionally get me, but other than that nothing too phobic.

Mortality? Honestly, not bothered. I mean, I don't want to die, but it's not like I haven't had a lot of time to come to terms with the idea. And, really, why worry about it? Worry about what you have control over; the rest really isn't your problem.

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
-- Mark Twain

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

I will be 50 in November so I don't know if im older than you or not....

on the plus side dont look or feel 50.....😝
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

Youngsters all, baa.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

@snoopy11: Heh, I'm December, so you're still more ancient than I.

It's January, man! You're worrying now? You've got to pace yourself. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

No im not worrying as such....

Just when you reach a milestone like 50 it does make you re-evaluate things...

And just to be clear again im not afraid of death go back and read my posts..

It just makes me think of my family... grandparents etc cousins aunties uncles...parents...

I love all of them but in ten years time my dad will be 90 and will start on the slippery slope to dementia...

Not looking forward to that then it will be uncles and aunts then my mum....

I watched all my grandparents die slowly with dementia, you forget everything, your in a cloud of confusion and hallucination not knowing who you are or who anyone else is...

Its sobering.... thats all..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

The nice thing about dementia is that you don't really have to be there when it happens...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:21 PM

Obligatory Waiting reference...

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 25 January 2018 - 06:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:23 AM

Aah but you are there your just trapped in your own mind
Last grandparent to go was my Gran at 95, years of tears as she struggled to say something

but couldnt moments of clarity mixed with moments of hallucination hence the confusion..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• blow up my boots
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

I seem to recall over past months a number of articles mentioning some evidence of things that can, or could, delay the onset or impact of dementia. I don't recall specifics, but I think it was common things like keeping the mind active, fresh air, healthy eating, maybe certain vegetables or minerals.

I suppose you could gen up on this and follow the advice. At least then you would have the reassurance that you are doing everything within your power - and would reap the benefits to your general health and well-being as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:56 AM

Yeah Andrew,

I do know what supplements and foods to take like oily fish, omega3 and all the rest...

And im quite happy with the way i look dont get me wrong there either i still bench 300lbs

I run a 10k every week

my stomach is flat and muscular

But in the end dementia will catch up with me... nothing in the end i can do we are all destined to die of something 😉
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +