6 Replies - 222 Views - Last Post: 09 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Local urban legends / cryptids

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

Tooling around lunch today with NPR on, and caught the author in the middle of talk about some facet of Charles Manson being part of her book. She mentioned that Manson was the boogieman of California growing up which made me pause and think about the various 'boogie men', urban legends, and cryptids each region has and how they differ. I believe snoopy11 brought up 'kelpies' a while back, but there's always the big foot, werewolves, leprechauns, brownies, pixes, etc that pepper the world.

For me - sure.. Manson was a thing, but our local 'boogieman' was Walking Wili Otey. Teachers used him in school to explain the dangers out there as well as parents to kids to watch out for strangers. More recently he has been replaced by this Nikko Jenkins person.

Back in the school days there was persistent chatter that a band/gang/colony of albinos lived out by the river near Hummel Park. In retrospect I never understood why or where that started, but even my parents copped to hearing that back in their school days.

Then there was the Black Angel in the town across the river. Rumor had it kids who went there after dark, on a moonless night, never returned or were found killed by the angel.

Out central Nebraska was talk of the 'Alkali Lake Monster'.. smelly 30 foot brown croc-like creature. Never saw it, but swear I could smell it.

Random chatter about vampires back in the pioneering'ish days as well as occasional Big Foot sightings up along the Platte and Missouri rivers even to this day. A host of Native American legends bled over as well.

So - what sort of weird monsters and boogiemen did you all grow up with?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Local urban legends / cryptids

#2 8Bit Bob  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Local urban legends / cryptids

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

There was an old abandoned cluster of barns in the middle of a field near my neighborhood that we all thought was haunted. I remember once a group of kids were actually brave enough to go into one of the barns, and they claimed to have seen a ghost. That made it even more freaky, and everyone stayed away from it after that (although that didn't stop it from being he talk of the town for a while).

Of course, the kids never actually saw a ghost, but it was still enough to freak me out back then.

This post has been edited by 8Bit Bob: 09 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

Well, we have Marilyn Manson, so that's close enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

Where I grew up there was an orphanage that burned down, called Gore Orphanage. There are some of rumors of lore :

A shotgun cult :
- Group of local hillbillies would chant around the angel of death before going out to murder a sacrifice

The angel of the death :
- The angel of death is missing it's head & both arms. Apparently if taunt it you will die

Posted Image

The crying children :
- Late at night you can hear the cries of the children, either burning alive, or haunting, I don't know

So in highschool, my nickname was Gore. To which, someone asked me : "hey, surely you've seen the Gore Orphanage". Well, I had not. Never been there. So this entire school outing was planned. Ironically, I wasn't invited. Assholes.

Well, on this trip, there were two kids that were classmates a few years below me, total bad-apples. They stole bikes, wore leather jackets, bullies of the school yard kind of stuff. Names are withheld.

As the story goes, they were fucking around with the angel of death. Taunting it, calling it out. Again, I wasn't there. Somewhere along the lines, they got a ride home with a girl that was in my class. On an S curve, she lost control, went off the road, crashed into a barn, & was killed in the accident along with one of the two boys. The surviving boy was wheel chair bound for as long as I still lived in town.

The only interaction that I have ever had was once years later I was driving home from a MushRoomHead concert with calvinthedestroyer. He was asleep, it was late, we were lost. I had this terrible chill up my spine, could have been the sleep depravation, it could have been the cold, it could have been the fact I had been sitting for hours driving home. All I know is that when I tilted my head as part of the reflect, I saw the road sign "Gore Orphanage Road" as I was passing under it.

View PostNeoTifa, on 09 February 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

Well, we have Marilyn Manson, so that's close enough.

That's Canton Ohio. You lived in Dayton & Columbus.

Jeffrey Dahmer was from Bath Ohio, & that's just outside of Akron.
The Craigslist Killer (Richard Beasley) took place in Akron Ohio.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

You had to ruin the joke didn't you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

Where I grew up there was an orphanage that burned down, called Gore Orphanage.

That's one hot mess of an urban legend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

Living most of young life in a community that was part of the route of the Bataan Death March, there are multiple ghost stories and "sightings" of spirits including the rubber tree in the backyard of my old home. Personally, I've not seen anything there (my room window faced towards the tree), but in the community auditorium, I could have sworn I saw "something" one evening while I was starting up the building's AC prior to one of our high school parties.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1