Accessing Favourites

Using JavaScript to access a list of the browser's favourites.

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 773 Views - Last Post: 26 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

#1 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Accessing Favourites

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

I was wondering if it's possible to access a list of the browser's favourites in a web page. I've been searching on the net and can find out how to add a page to the favourites but not access the entire list.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Accessing Favourites

• DIC Hawk - 나야나 नयन:
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Accessing Favourites

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

No can do. [sic]

Looking at somebody's favourites, or bookmark list is a privacy issue, and so is obviously not supported in either FireFox, Internet Explorer, Konqueror, Opera, or any other browser that I know of.

Think about it. How would you feel if you knew that random websites could read what you had in your favourites list? Would you feel comfortable?

If for some strange reason you still need to read a favourites or bookmark list, then you would need to write your own browser plugin/extension that exposed a function to Javascript that would allow it to read bookmarks. This of course would need to be installed with the express permission of the user. And that kind of thing would never gain my permission.

And I'm being curious now, why do you want to read someone's bookmark list anyway?

This post has been edited by Nayana: 17 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Ha, I actually want to read my own. :) I use opera and want to set one of my speed dial pages to a list of all my bookmarks. If I could access them from Javascript, it would be trivial to iterate through them and output them to the web page, and I could add a page to the list simply by bookmarking it.

Anyway, thanks for the answer, and for explaining why it's impossible. At least I know now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

View Postcfoley, on 17 Jan, 2008 - 06:50 PM, said:

Ha, I actually want to read my own. :) I use opera and want to set one of my speed dial pages to a list of all my bookmarks. If I could access them from Javascript, it would be trivial to iterate through them and output them to the web page, and I could add a page to the list simply by bookmarking it.

Anyway, thanks for the answer, and for explaining why it's impossible. At least I know now.

While it's not exactly what you're looking for, you could definitely do this if you started using del.icio.us. I use it just because my bookmarks within Firefox got too unruly to manage. However, instead of writing a browser extension like Nayana mentioned, you could use del.icio.us's. They provide a RSS feed of your bookmarks, or you could always screen scrape to get bookmarks with specific keywords or something.

Now that I think about it, there might not be an extension for Opera. I don't know. If you're desperate though, it could be a possibility.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1