can some list all the known models please

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1235 Views - Last Post: 20 January 2008 - 04:38 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Software Development Model

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

hi guys,

our group is still on going with our thesis and we need a software development model that would come near to our software, but I've only heard about the water fall model and not much idea on the other models.

i've search the net and i'm not sure on what I found. hope tou guys can share your knowledge
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software Development Model

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software Development Model

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:32 AM

Some others include:

1) RAD (Rapid Application Development) - which is the process of quickly putting together a demo which a client can try based on some basic requirements and then get a feel for it and refine in small iterations.

2) Agile Development - Which is essentially the process of starting a small project and in short bursting development cycles (typically a few weeks) which at the end of each cycle you present a deliverable (like a new feature or some sort of upgrade)

3) Extreme Programming (or XP as it is normally called) - It is much like Agile but based on some core principles of quick user feedback, assuming each iteration has a simple solution and to not shy away from change but to actually embrace it.

4) Spiral model - It is a combination of the waterfall model, but takes into the account of prototyping much like used in RAD. It is a hybrid model.

5) Cleanroom development - As the name implies, it is focused on defect prevention (like a clean room) and based around formal methods of system development by incrementally adding on (like Agile or Extreme) but with a strict sense of quality control and statistically sound testing.

Then of course there is RUP from IBM which is a fancy way of saying "Lets make a life cycle that is a mish mash of the other cycles that best suit our current needs". I think it is a fancy way of saying "Lets create our own way of doing things because we are IBM and we can." But that is just my opinion.

You can find all these on wikipedia for more information. Enjoy! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:46 PM

I think it is a fancy way of saying "Lets create our own way of doing things because we are IBM and we can." But that is just my opinion.

I think you are a bit too hard on IBM here. It was designed by Rational Software way back around 1995 and they were only acquired by IBM in 2003.
Although I can imagine that since then it is only that much.
A similar thing is SunTone from Sun, a bunch of people debate that it is anything else than a rip off, and if it is a development process at all. If you are interested, you can find something about it here (something below 2 MB pdf), but not much else (I think they can't make up their mind if it should be a certification for businesses or a development process).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:38 AM

thanks guys,

you helped me alot

i can see more clearly now, in terms of the development model
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +