11 Replies - 2334 Views - Last Post: 14 March 2008 - 12:53 PM

#1 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

"Will Pay for Relocation... " but who's actually done it

Post icon  Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:05 AM

So here is the situation... I have a phone interview setup for a webhosting company in NYC. & while it's been a dream of mine to actually move there, it's a scary thing to think about actually doing! So here it is, my big opportunity, the ball is in my court so to speak. I couldn't match a better skill set on a job description, & in all of my life, I've never been more sure about actually being qualified for a job posting!

Alright, great, now you know the story. My question being, has anyone here actually pulled this off? I've worked for a fortune 500 company, & we pulled in a few hires from out of state. Some of them were even from companies that they had bought. Heh, buying employees, novel idea. At any rate, they offered little information into what all was done by our company, to assist them with their living arrangements, moving, yada yada. When a company claims that they will pay for relocation, what does that tend to include? I know I know, they (more than likely) all have their own idea of what this includes, & the fine print & everything else.

Basically, I don't want to eff this up because I wasn't aware of something, or said the wrong thing to give an inaccurate impression about my living arrangements & my future goals. & I sure as hell don't want to spend a few months moving, selling our current house, & all the other hassles that are involved, just to find out I'm moving back.

Just being paranoid cuz life has a tendency of making things unpleasant vary fast.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: "Will Pay for Relocation... " but who's actually done it

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: "Will Pay for Relocation... " but who's actually done it

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

my parents actually just did this, and had no problems at all.

he works for a national brand company though, so he could put faith in their word.

they gave him a flat amount $30,000 i believe, to move and a bunch of other crap, and he just had to give them receipts for what he did. of course he didn't keep the extras.

but one thing you want ot make sure of is what they do with your house if you can't sell. my parents mortgages were paid for 3-4 months after he made the move i believe, and if the house eventually didn't sell then they would buy it back. (albeit at what they determine is market value , so probably less than you can get but still an important backup)

he is a director at the company, so i don't know what kind of deal that means you will get, but shoot for the stars. as far as i know its somewhat negotiable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

probably the best place to get your answers is from the company youre moving to. some just pay for plane tics and some pay more. ive had a company pay me for the total cost of the move plane/truck/car allowance/house allowance/bonus. you can usually negotiate that. it all depends how good you are and how bad they want you. but NY is an awesome place just be ready to shell out big $$$ for a good midtown apartment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

don't know java has it wrong...

be ready to shell out a medium sized body part.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, I've got some friends that live in NYC, & I've been there a bunch of times for weeks at time. So I'm more than aware of the cost of living.

Thank you for all your insight & knowledge!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:24 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 21 Jan, 2008 - 12:29 PM, said:

Yeah, I've got some friends that live in NYC, & I've been there a bunch of times for weeks at time. So I'm more than aware of the cost of living.

Thank you for all your insight & knowledge!

Hey I just relocated from Toledo to Columbus to pursue a more promising and rewarding career. The only downside to me is the 1 year commitment I made by coming here. If you take the job and wind up not liking it you are commited to them for however long and if you leave anyway you have to pay back all the costs. I mean they put me up for a month, moved me and my family down, paid for several trips back and forth. So just make sure that you have a tolerance for staying at a job that might not be what it is cracked up to be and you'll be fine.

Hey I love it down here in Columbus. Next Stop Kansas City.

However NYC is the greatest city!!! There are plenty of jobs there as well, live in Jersey and commute its cheaper.

Either way - best of luck to ya!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:48 AM

I'm not going to feel at home anywhere that isn't dry. I say if it's a climate you don't enjoy life is going to be much worse than if it was a climate you did like. It seems to make all the difference for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:42 PM

I jsut moved nearly 800km for my new job, i got all the information from the new company, here the deal was they will pay 40% to start with and in 18 months they will pay another 40% of moving costs. not that i really had any moving costs.... i had never moved out of home so i didn't have any furniture, only two trips with my car. but that adds up to some fuel so what the hey!

I know another compnay i applied for was willing to provide a shipping container to your old house, and woudl pay for it's transport across the country (NSW to WA) and store ti till you get a place they would even help with finding a place to live be it buy or rent...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

Follow your dreams.

I had two competing job offers, one close by and one in Santa Cruz.
I went to Santa Cruz for the interview, and fell in love with the place.
I've been living in Santa Cruz for 3 months, and since that decision, I've :

1) Found a great job
2) Gotten a tan
3) Lost my virginity
4) Made a lot more money

Money + sex + fulfilling work = profit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:35 PM

View PostWolfCoder, on 22 Jan, 2008 - 10:48 AM, said:

if it's a climate you don't enjoy

Its number2pencil, To him 40degs is warm!
:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:10 AM

My husband did this 2 years ago... which is how we ended up in the backwoods end of Podunk. He hates his precinct - not that his experience should deter you in any way. But the State Police force paid VERY limited amounts for his relocation across the entire state of Pennsylvania - they covered his moving van rental and 2 tanks of gas... that's it.

He is now up for transfer to a precinct back home... if he gets it, we'll be doing all this crap all over again in a month or two.... oh, joy.

My biggest issue isn't the weather/climate adjustment. It was moving from my comfort zone - everything I had ever known... family, friends, familiar streets, schools, employment opportunities.... and coming here where I knew no one... in fact, I didn't even know this town existed until he told me we were moving here. It's been two years and aside from a few stuck up preschool soccer moms who like to go to Curves together everyday at lunch time, I STILL don't know any one.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the new transfer... back home.... to people who live on Mountain Dew and Doritos and play D&D every Saturday night.... :wub:

<Edit: I need to pay more attention to thread dates.... just realized this one's 2 months old.... whoops! :P>

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 13 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Jawsome++;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:53 PM

First off congrats on the job, and second I believe if the pros out weigh the cons, and you are financially able to make the move I say go for it for sure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1